fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Late post: Passed PMP 2020 exam at first try, 7 weeks preparation

Late post: Passed PMP 2020 exam at first try, 7 weeks preparation 3 years 2 months ago #26397

• Jo Ann Ocampo
  • Jo Ann Ocampo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This is a late post as the start of the year was busy for me. This may not be as helpful since the exam version has changed, but I wanted to pay it forward and thank the prepcast team for a great job on the preparation materials. :)

I took the PMP exam on December 31, 2020 - very last minute, but then my decision to finally push through with the PMP exam was also last minute. I had been taking the edX micromasters on project management mid-2020, but I stopped and re-evaluated whether it was working for the PMP review. I realized not really (their approach was a mix of academic and application-based, which meant that not all PMBOK sections were covered). So by November, I bought the PM PrepCast module with PMP Exam Simulator exam. I studied the podcast/videos daily - 2-4 hours on a weekday, 6 hours on a weekend. Then I'd take the quiz after each module. I had a copy of Rita Mulcahy's ebook but I ended up not using it because (a) I didn't have time to skim another reference and (b) having multiple references might confuse or pressure me more. So when I had trouble understanding some concepts from the videos, I would look for youtube videos explaining them. By December, I realized I needed to take more sample exams, so I started using the simulator. I took many of the timed quizzes and only 1 full exam. Thankfully that was enough - I passed the exam, getting Above Target on all areas.

Some preparation tips:
-Study daily - whether it's 1 hour or 6 hours, consistent study time helps with recall and discipline to keep you going.
-Take timed quizzes earlier in the review process - I took the timed quizzes after a month. I could've done it earlier so I can focus more on the topics I was finding more difficult.
-1 or 2 full-length simulator exams is enough to prepare - If you consistently take the timed quizzes, the simulator exams may get easier. The actual PMP exam questions are very similar to the simulator exams.

Thank you very much to the prepcast team for making solid preparation materials! Would gladly recommend to friends aspiring for the PMP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Melinda Hegyiova
Last edit: by Yolanda Mabutas.

Late post: Passed PMP 2020 exam at first try, 7 weeks preparation 3 years 2 months ago #26412

• Yolanda Mabutas
  • Thank you received: 39
Congratulations, Jo Ann!

Thank you for sharing your PMP Exam journey!
Yolanda Mabutas
OSP International LLC
www.pm-prepcast.com

Late post: Passed PMP 2020 exam at first try, 7 weeks preparation 3 years 2 months ago #26424

• Awal Hosen-PMP,CPIM, MBA
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Congrat! I believe sharing is caring. The best way to contribute to the community is by giving back what worked for me and what did not, same recipe might work for you. This is a One Place Guide for passing PMP. Sharing the link:
awal-hosen.medium.com/this-is-how-i-pass...fd6e6a8519a271f4437f
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login