fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Lessons Learned for Passing on the first Attempt

Lessons Learned for Passing on the first Attempt 3 years 2 months ago #26185

• Sara Fisher Poppe
  • Sara Fisher Poppe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I started studying for my exam in October 2020. I first took the self-led virtual course offered by PMI for the 2021 exam. I honestly felt a bit lost and not ready for the exam, and then I heard it was changing. I turned to a professional forum I am a part of and someone messaged me to tell me about the PM PrepCast. I signed up the next day and started listening to the recordings, which made a lot of sense! I decided to take the exam in December. I knew it could be a tight deadline, so I made flash cards for the important topics to carry around, and I started reading Andy Crowe 's PMP Prep - How to Pass on the First Try. I received a great lesson learned through a PM PrepCast email from another reviewer who suggested creating a spreadsheet with columns for the knowledge area, process group, process name, process definition, when to complete the process, inputs, tools and techniques, and outputs. I would read a chapter in Andy Crowe's book, input the information from it onto the spreadsheet, and then I listed to the corresponding PM PrepCast. Once I completed a topic, I took the quizzes in the book as well as in the PrepCast, and then reviewed what I got wrong. Another incredibly helpful tip I have would be to draw out a flow chart on big paper by hand to see how everything connects as I experienced a “lightbulb” moment when I did this. Two weeks before the exam, I started taking full length exams through the PM PrepCast. Despite all of my hours spent, I was not doing well and scoring at about 65%. I spent approximately 300 hours studying over the course of 2.5 months, so the stress set in and I read the PMBOK Guide cover to cover. In the beginning I spent a couple hours per day, and by the second month, I was spending 4-11 hrs daily. I did not skip weekends or holidays, and I was allowed to spend half of my workday during the week to prepare. My advice, take a deep breath, try not to obsess. Also, allow your head to clear, and give yourself ample time to prepare. The most difficult parts of this for me were my lack of experience with standardized tests, and my difficulty memorizing formulas, not my level of understanding. I wanted to learn the material, not cram it, and I really did that. I passed on the first try, and I did well. I also cried hysterically when the screen changed to show me I passed, so much relief. I have since gotten a promotion and I am implementing PMI standard practices within my company’s Project Management Office. I am grateful I put in the time, and I feel very prepared for the workforce. I am so excited to be teaching others what I learned about Project Management. Thank you, PM PrepCast!

Lessons Learned for Passing on the first Attempt 3 years 2 months ago #26193

• Kyle Kilbride, PMP
  • Thank you received: 49
Congratulations, and great tips for consideration!

Kyle
Regards,
Kyle Kilbride, P.Eng, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login