fbpx

Reply: Passed - tips for your study plan

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed - tips for your study plan

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 2 months ago #26141

Steven

's Avatar

Thanks for sharing such helpful tips
3 years 2 months ago #26042

Yolanda Mabutas

Congratulations, Molnar!

Thank you for sharing your Lessons Learned.
3 years 2 months ago #26040

Molnar

's Avatar

Passed for 1st attempt with AT all areas.

I decided to apply for the PMP exam during maternity leave with a newborn baby due to the option available to take it online. I have colleagues who did it and claimed that they invested 200 hours in aspreparation. They also suggested that I should buy an exam simulator. I can confirm both points are really valid!

My study plan:
- 200 hours preparation
- Listened to the full Prepcast end-to-end
- Read the PMBOK first time. Chapter by chapter and taking notes after each on ITTO and Glossary+formulas
- Practice in exam simulator. I took non-timed 50 questions/quiz and by knowledge area. I did ALL exam questions in the database. In total, it took me 37 hours, average time 45 minutes/ 50 questions. I answered 80+% correct on first attempt.
- I did 3 full length exams in the simulator on laptop and one was under same conditions like on the real exam (i.e. same time of the day, same room, even having the same breakfast). I got 90+% in each so I knew I am ready.
- I had a 2nd review of the PMBOK guide and my own notes on ITTO. I focused on ITTO only and only on high level

Exam:
- The PersonVUE online exam has a 10 minutes break in the middle. This is enough for a comfort break, including some food and drink. (I used this time also to breastfeed my little baby. )
- I tried to keep the same pace as during exam simulation: 50 questions/45 minutes, i.e. finish it within 3 hours. I double checked my pace in every 20-25 minutes. It was a feasible plan.
Tips:
- Find even just 10-15 min times to listen to Prepcast eg queue in the post office, walking etc.
- Become PMI member to get discount on exam fee and have a free pdf copy of PMBOK so you can take it with you and read anywhere eg on the bus, lunchbreak
- Always know what the next step is in your study plan so you know exactly what to read/listen next when you have 10-15 min in your busy schedule
Prepcast review:
-It really puts the PMBOK into context.
-It helps to deepen your knowledge in specific topics which might not be your field of expertise in your job so you understand better the PMBOK content
- it is a good summary of the PMBOK, helps you to capture the essence, focus to the most relevant points.

Exam simulation review:
- you will get very simular questions on the real exam. This is a must. You will feel really confident and calm on the real exam once you are reading the first questions. Don’t hesitate, best investment in your PMP prep!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login