fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: If I can do this you can, too. Passed my PMP 1st try 12/28/20

If I can do this you can, too. Passed my PMP 1st try 12/28/20 3 years 3 months ago #25670

• Ronna Trent
  • Ronna Trent's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello all-
Im proud to announce that I passed my PMP on my first try yesterday, getting it in right before the Exam change scheduled for 2 Jan 2021. It was difficult, but not impossible. Here's what I learned about my best study techniques to pass on:
a. I opted not to do full out practice exams but instead focus on batches of 30-40 questions at a time. In all, I did over 1100 exam prep questions and this was very helpful. Most of the quizzes, but not in the last week, were in Learning mode so that I could understand my mistakes and learn in real time. As a result, I really learned and I had no problem managing time on my test, I had about 25 minutes to spare.
b. Know the formulas but prepare for the interpretation. I was surprised that I had very little computation to do. So do focus on the interpretation and analysis, which is what you'll use in the 'real world' as well.
c. What I wish I had done was do the quizzes immediately after reviewing the modules and reading the PMBOK related chapter. That would have solidified things more easily for me. Instead I first read the book, cover to cover. And then I did all the modules in sequence, A-Z. And only then did I start the quizzes. Mistake on my part. Had I done them 'in tandem' I think I would have finished up at least 3-4 weeks earlier because I would have learned the concepts faster.
I think all of this will apply to the next PMP exam as well.
All in all, the test was challenging and long, but not at all out of reach with solid preparation in hand. It took me almost 5 months start to finish. (For reference I have a Master's degree and over 20 years professional experience, but only about 3 specific to Project Management. I have a family and full time job, so had to juggle time and could not dedicate solid blocks as others may be able to.) Be prepared for ambiguity and 'trick' questions as well. Best of luck!
-ronna trent

If I can do this you can, too. Passed my PMP 1st try 12/28/20 3 years 3 months ago #25721

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Well done, Ronna!

That's a great tip about interpretation of the formulas. Math is not my strongest area but I can get my head around the 'why' and that's what really counts :)

When you are ready to start earning PDU’s for PMP recertification, check out the PM PrepCast’s offerings, The PM Podcast and the The PDU Podcast which will help you keep up with PMI’s Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR’s) and maintain your new certification.

Thank you for sharing your Lessons Learned and congrats on clearing the exam before the end of the year!
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login