fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed on 12/28, 1st attempt, AT/AT/AT/AT/BT, 45 days learning and preparation

Passed on 12/28, 1st attempt, AT/AT/AT/AT/BT, 45 days learning and preparation 3 years 3 months ago #25656

• Meng Qian
  • Meng Qian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am so glad that I did it and so you can!

Mid Nov (11/13/2020), I happened to learn that PMP exam will change starting Jan. 2021.
By that time, I just finished some online courses to get the 35 contact hours.
I did not even know you need to submit an application to PMI first.

After some research, knowing that it will be challenging, but I decided to do it.
I submitted my application on the 14th at night. I kept learning by going over an online course for the Exam Preparation, while waiting for my application outcome.
It took 5 days before my application status turned Eligible.

Till the day before exam, I studied average 1-2 hours on work days (I have a full time job) and at least 4 hours on weekend days.

Resource I used:
1) Online courses purchased a year ago when on sale (don't remember provider)
2) PrepCast Exam Simulator (I finished 7 exams, all timed, scored all above 70%, never cross 80%)
3) Other Free Exams recommended by PrepCast (excluding Free PrepCast Exam - as they were deactivated, OpenPM - did not create an account)
4) PMBOK - only for checking knowledge points for the questions I got wrong in the practice exams

Among all the practice exams, I feel PMI's is most difficult and I only scored ~60%.
PrepCast's are most helpful and about the same as the real exam. It has more long questions than the real.

I read slow and English is not my first language. So the biggest problem with me is how to manage myself to answer all questions in 4 hours.
I failed on the first PrepCast exam because I answered only 164/200 of the questions.
For ALL practice exams, I used 4 hours, with every exam ending up with using the last 1 or 2 minutes to answer the last question.
Even on the exam day, I used up all 240 mins.
To that point, I really admire the folks who can finish all questions 2-3 hours.

Exam day experience:
Check-in process was smooth; glad did not ran into computer issues; I used my work laptop, and disabled antivirus and firewall app; used wired internet connection.
I was nervous and felt rushed on the first part; even though I had quite a few questions flagged, I did not review them at all (worried that I don't have enough time)
The 10-min break came after the 89th question; I used the 10-min in full; used the restroom and drank some water; last 2 mins of the break, I took deep breath and tried to clam down.
I felt I did not do well on the first part, so gotta catch up at the second part.
It turned out I actually used less time than my usual on the first part, so I slowed down a little bit at the beginning of the second part.
I ended up with rushing on the last 10 questions, but I was able to answer ALL. I clearly knew that without answering all questions, there is no chance to pass.
I had fewer questions flagged in the second part, but it doesn't matter as I never got a chance to review anyway.
I did not feel good about the exam and thought I was gonna fail.
Till I see the 'Congratulation...' statement, I still did not believe it.

After I finished the exam for about an hour, I was still in the 'disbelieve' mode;
I searched online and found out you can log back in to your exam dashboard to view scores.

My experience to achievement:
1) Time the practice exams - if you have the same difficulty as me; try to concentrate and speed up reading and catch key words, e.g. initiating, planning, etc. so to narrow down the knowledge processing area in your mind;
2) Study the questions you got wrong - check PMBOK and make notes

Big Thumbs Up to PrepCast Exam Simulator! I don't think I can pass without it.

Passed on 12/28, 1st attempt, AT/AT/AT/AT/BT, 45 days learning and preparation 3 years 3 months ago #25723

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Congratulations, Meng!

You've had quite a journey since November, but that's an amazing success to pass in such a short period of time, well done.

When you are ready to start earning PDU’s for PMP recertification, check out the PM PrepCast’s offerings, The PM Podcast and the The PDU Podcast which will help you keep up with PMI’s Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR’s) and maintain your new certification.

Thank you for sharing your Lessons Learned and kind words about the exam simulator.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login