fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Some troubles you may run into on the day of online exam.

Some troubles you may run into on the day of online exam. 3 years 3 months ago #25481

• Edward Ching
  • Edward Ching's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Ok, I know so many people are having a smooth session in the online exam but I have had multiple bad sessions. I considered myself to be the unlucky one. Read my experience so that you know what to do and not get into panic when the exam is not going as expected.

First of all, unless you have no choice, DO NOT USE MAC OS for the exam. Pearson VUE has the Mac version but the application has handful of crashing record in Mac OS, which happened to me. I carried out the software check days before the exam, however the software just crashed in the second half (the first half was completely ok). The customer service later told me that they have had reports about software crashing in Mac OS. It's already sounds like an exam question right? Just mitigate this risk by using Win 10 system is reducing a great chance of having accident like this.

In case the software crashed (it completely frozen EXCEPT THE TIME), stay calm and do not panic. If the chat box with the proctor is still functional, tell them and they can "relaunch" the exam for you at the time and question that you start to have the problem. One should stay calm and reduce the impact of the frozen computer in your mind. It is the best to keep yourself cool enough to be ready to jump back in the exam immediately. This frozen screen can happen a few times during one exam session.

If the application is completely frozen and the chat box is also not responding, stay calm and remember the question number and time, and wait for another 10 mins. The proctor may not even aware that you have problem and they may not come in to help you at all. If they have no response in 10 mins, HARD REBOOT your computer, check in your exam once again by directly open the apps in your download folder. It is possible that the program will start from where it frozen. If not, let the proctor know and you should ask for a rescheduling because the proctor has no authority to compensate any lost time to you.

The proctors are just a joke. Different proctor has different check in rule, and very unresponsive to your request of help. The waiting time for reply can be as long as 5 to 10 mins. Therefore, don't expect you can get timely help from them.

About the exam, it will get in the first review session after the completion of question 89. Everyone should estimate and control the quantity of time to review the questions.

After the exam, not before you completely shut down the application, you are still be considered as taking the exam. Do not get away from your seat before you get explicit permission from the proctor.

I will post a little more about how to reschedule the exam with Pearson VUE and PMI in this kind of technical issues. My hint is that you have to follow up the e-mail thread closely. Pearson VUE lost my first reschedule request and let me waited 4 days without any notice. At the same time, PMI's response is very slow too. It took me nearly 2 weeks to reschedule the test.

Good luck~!
Last edit: by Edward Ching.

Some troubles you may run into on the day of online exam. 3 years 3 months ago #25486

• Maechel De Celis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi I have the same issue too, I tookthe exam last 22 dec and still have the ticket from Pearson VUE they say that they will get back but as i checked my PMP i failed.
Do i need to pay again but the down of system is their fault then.

Some troubles you may run into on the day of online exam. 3 years 3 months ago #25546

• Edward Ching
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Maechel,
I'm sorry to hear that... But I worried about your rescheduling.
Ok, first of all, no you don't have to pay again. But the process can be really slow. What happened is that Pearson VUE created a ticket for your case, so someone will look into it. However, you should not wait until they contact you. They lost my first ticket and I only found that out 4 days after the issue as they suggested. They re-created the tickets and that cost me another 4 days.
The real trouble comes later. PMI is not having enough people to handle request, therefore their response is very slow. You will have to wait online for an hour to pass the information to PMI and tell them your case has been filed in by Pearson VUE. After this, PMI will start to review your case. The result will be allowing you to retake the test free of chrage . Then you can start to reschedule like you have done in the first time.
Remember to follow up closely. NO matter Pearson VUE or PMI, both of them are not performing well if you don't keep the pressure.
Good luck my friend.

Some troubles you may run into on the day of online exam. 3 years 3 months ago #25549

• MAECHEL CELIS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks a lot, yes considering that Hooliday season and the availble time left.
I have pressure both VUE and PMI, i got one slot after 10X trying to get a slot.
I apprecaite for your advise.

Some troubles you may run into on the day of online exam. 3 years 3 months ago #25550

• Henry Williams
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I had similar issues with Mac OS this week but was fortunate to get support from the proctor and the PearsonVue website chat function.

On Tuesday, completed up to question 49 before my video started faltering; after 30 minutes of troubleshooting that specific issue, the proctor arranged a ticket for me to reschedule online. The next day, the exam locked up before it fully launched, so my session was cancelled. After about 30 minutes waiting and chatting with PearsonVue support, they rescheduled me for the next day. Switched to a Windows laptop and had no tech issues.

Despite the hiccups, I did pass the exam and received my official results from PMI today.

Some troubles you may run into on the day of online exam. 3 years 3 months ago #25631

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Congratulations, Henry!
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com

Some troubles you may run into on the day of online exam. 3 years 2 months ago #25646

• Edward Ching
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Oh wow that is fast!
It took me 2 weeks for rescheduling and being kicked around between Pearson and PMI.
Gzz...
Hey glad to know you've made it.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login