fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP 1st Try. 3AT/1T/1BT

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP 1st Try. 3AT/1T/1BT

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 3 months ago #25433

Rob Canfield

Also want to add that there were very few, if any, questions that had obviously made up answers.
3 years 3 months ago #25431

Rob Canfield

Like most, I gained a ton of useful information from other lessons learned on here. Thought I should share my experience.
I passed today. It has been a journey. I got 1 below target, which was in Execution.

Background:
Passed CAPM in 2017. At work, I am half PM and half system admin. Yes I know, that's an odd combo. I purchased the most recent RITA PMP Prep book as soon as it was announced for pre-order. Bought the PMBOK and AGILE book combo set. Also purchased Joseph Phillips course on Udemy and the most popular LinkedIn learning course. All material was for the current exam.

PMP Adventure:
I applied for the PMP in April 2020. PMI accepted my application without audit. Easy enough. Paid for the exam and scheduled it for 12/21/2020. I thought: "That gives me plenty of time to prepare!". Fast forward to December 1st ,2020. I didn't accomplish anything. I spent around 6 hours per day studying between 12/1 and 12/19. I used Joe Phillips Udemy course very heavily at first. Also used RITA along side.

Purchased the PMP SIMULATOR no more than 2 weeks ago. I did a bunch of 10 question quizzes. Scored around 60 to 70% on most. I put off taking a full practice exam until I was more proficient with the material. Up until yesterday I felt so-so about my chances. It was too late to cancel and too late to reschedule. What the heck, I'll do it. I didn't take a single practice exam. Only quizzes of 10 or 20 questions. I mainly used the Learning option so I could take my time to LEARN it while taking the quizzes.

Exam Day (1st part):
The proctor was irritated I wasn't 30 minutes early like the email recommended. I apologized, my goof. Don't be that person, I was that person.
I took the tutorial and then started the exam. 88 questions flew by and I was at my 10 minute break. I thought the 10 minute break would be halfway though, around question 100 or so, but instead it was at Q88. Very weird.
I flagged questions I had absolutely no clue, and question that involved finding float or critical path. The questions up to this point seemed easier than expected.

10 Minute break:
As stated, I took the break. Took this opportunity to take a bathroom break. Also removed my mask once out of Pearson area and into the public lobby. Returned to the exam a little early. Thought I would sit there and just relax. Apparently once you return, you have to start the exam. The proctor was very adamant about this. No big deal.

Exam Day (2nd part):
Flagged a whole bunch of questions. Was making great time, so I decided to slow down. LOL, terrible idea. 10 minutes left in the exam, and I had 10 questions I didn't even look at. With so many 10 question quizzes under my belt, this didn't make me as nervous as I probably should've been. I answered all questions and ended the exam. Heart racing, I was very nervous. Congratulations appeared and I was almost in shock. "WOW, I did it". I also want to add the the 2nd part's questions seemed a lot harder. I know question difficulty is random, but wow. It was a 180 degree difference compared to the first part.

The questions were very similar for my exam. I only had a couple questions about float. Had several questions where I had to know what CPI and SPI was. These are easy, I must've been lucky to get a few. Didn't need the calculator once. Mainly situational questions. So many questions about people leaving the team early, the PM joining the team late. Definitely know the general idea for each process. I went it knowing them like 70 percent.

I know this was only possible because I purchased the PMP simulator. I feel like if you're doing fine on the practice quizzes, then you should be OK. Admittedly, I crammed like crazy and might be a better test taker than most. Luckily it turned out to be in my favor this time. Good luck to everyone. For those who've passed CAPM previously: The PMP is definitely harder. The CAPM is mainly definitions. PMP is totally different. The simulator should get you ready. If you crammed like me and are uneasy, be confident and go into the exam knowing you will pass. Good Luck!!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login