fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP passed with all ATs - Lessons learnt

PMP passed with all ATs - Lessons learnt 3 years 4 months ago #25030

• Vani Joshi
  • Vani Joshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi All

I passed my PMP with AT on all process groups
The feeling was awesome - the journey was of course tough.
I will share few points that i have :

1. I started reading with PMBOK - the book however somehow was not very interesting / i was always put off .
I eventually ended up purchasing Rita's book - and it worked. It is awesome book to help with basic concepts
2. Then i attempted Mock tests with Prepcast Simulator & EduHubspot -- i scored very less (65-70 range) -- especially with ITTOs. Clearly Rita doesnt focus separately on ITTO. I understood that i had to read the PMBOK.
This time when i read PMBOK - i found it was interesting!. I could read the whole book - and understand it.
3. I attempted some tests again- the score surely improved, and i got in 70-78% range, but i wasnt still satisfied.
4. I re-read PMBOK 2 more times - dedicating 2 days for each Knowledge area - and now things were much more clearer to me.
5. Retook the Prepcast simulator Exam - this one is really goo guys! Read the answers that you get wrong or mark based on your "best guess". The explanation of answers really help. Spent as much time on the reading and analysis of answers as on each test itself. Its better to do quality prep for 500 questions than just repeat tests for all 1400 questions.
The score improved and i was consistently in >80% range.
6. Then i decided to take the pmi free 200 questions -- it killed all my confidence. The questions are twisted and so are the answer options. I scored only around 50%.
7. I thought there was a mistake with my know how -- so read PMBOK yet again!
8. Then i attempted Prepcast and EduHub questions -- got all fine scores. and did not dare to look at pmi questions again BUT....
9. One day before the exam i decided to re-attempt the pmi free questions - i realized that that the pmi questions are not tough but they are differently worded - tricky. i patiently tried sorting / separating the actual question from all the "blabber" given to trick us. and THIS is what is tricky and takes time. (I used to complete the mocks @ 50 questions per 30 min - but i was way slower with pmi questions ).

So point is - practice reading questions and separating the "actual" meaning of it -
DO NOT memorize ITTO - i dont think pmp accesses us based on that
Do attempt the pmi tough questions - it gives u the perfect feel of what pmp questions look like.
Read the PMBOK - its necessary .
Spend more time on mocks - Prepcast simulator is very good practice (but the questions in pmp are lot more trickier , and the answer options as well )

All the best to you all :)

PMP passed with all ATs - Lessons learnt 3 years 4 months ago #25057

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Congratulations!
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login