fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed on 1st attempt with 5AT

Passed on 1st attempt with 5AT 3 years 4 months ago #24740

• Emily Hannigan
  • Emily Hannigan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I passed my PMP exam yesterday with 5AT! A big thank you to this community and the Prepcast simulator.

I had been reading through the PMBOK since Sept, but did not study intensely until 3 weeks prior to my scheduled exam. My boot camp was end of Aug, so I was really running out of time to make the deadline.

The game changers for me were:
- Prepcast simulator: 85-90% for the free exams; 80%/82.5%/85% for Exams 1-3. Including PMI practice exam questions and other free questions from other sources, I logged at least 1,500 questions, which gave me a good idea about my pace, stamina, and the wording of exam questions.
- The Vargas video: Really changed how I was able to tie in everything by Process Group! Try to recreate all 49 processes and how they fit into the Process Groups by memory.
- PMP with Ray Youtube videos, especially on change management and key ITTO quizzes
- Aileen Ellis Youtube videos
- Andy Stowe’s book - Presented content much clearly and concisely than the PMBOK, but I referred to the PMBOK for more details or if there were terms not in Andy Stowe that I needed to understand better.
- Ace the PMP website: Quick access to terms, processes, ITTOs.
- PMI practice exam - 73% first time, retook one week later and got 91%. My first score really made me doubt myself. I went through all the answers to learn from my mistakes. Be sure to read the question carefully (what PM should do vs do NEXT) and that you’re actually answering the question (“to address ___”). Pay attention to key words. Remind yourself of which group/process you’re in.

Online Exam Experience:
I took my exam online, which was an okay experience. Sent my husband and two little kids to my parents’ house while I took the exam. Check in was straightforward, especially since I had cleared my test taking room in advance.

However, 10 min into the second half of the exam, the proctor ended my exam and messaged me that they could not see me in the webcam anymore. I hadn’t moved at all, so I was pretty panicked! After letting them know that I had not moved, they agreed to resume my exam. Took 3-5 min to get it going again, and needless to say, I was feeling rattled and distracted at that point. The proctor said they could not give me back any time. I was so relieved to see the Congratulations screen at the end!

I planned my exam “splits” - 105 min for Q1-89 (and had 15 min left for reviewing marked Q’s), 10 min break, and 135 min for Q90-200 (only 10 min left for marked Q’s).

I don’t think I would have had the confidence to tackle the exam so close to the deadline if it hadn’t been for all the wisdom this community had shared. It really helped me to know what to expect and plan accordingly!

My key advice would be to study strategically; go through as many practice questions as you can and go back to understand the correct answers; and on exam day, trust your gut and have confidence in all your hard work and practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie, Fazal Wahab

Passed on 1st attempt with 5AT 3 years 4 months ago #24741

• Amrutha Raghu
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Congrats!!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Where did you find the PMI practice exam and also can you refer me to Quick access to terms, processes, ITTOs.

Thank you!

Passed on 1st attempt with 5AT 3 years 4 months ago #24750

• Emily Hannigan
  • Emily Hannigan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amrutha Raghu
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login