fbpx

Reply: The Reason why I failed in my First Attempt

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : The Reason why I failed in my First Attempt

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 6 months ago #23428

Mbuih Zukane Retruyap

Exactly sir, Perfect practice is the key to passing the PMP exams
3 years 6 months ago #23423

Harry Elston

Mbuih:

Thank you for your insights. I'm sure that they will be helpful to others that come across them on the Forum.

You may have heard the aphorism, "Practice Makes Perfect." That is not quite the case. "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect." In the spirit of "perfect practice makes perfect" I would encourage you to use the Exam Simulator to its fullest in the next few months. Understanding the nuances of the questions is vital to succeeding on the PMP exam.

Good luck!

Harry
3 years 6 months ago #23422

Mbuih Zukane Retruyap

It is a common practice to read good write-ups on success stories.
A good number of students here have tried once, twice etc and failed. I think we should also open up on the lesson learned from our failures, so as to help others and maybe learn from our mistakes.

In my first attempt, I failed (2AT and 3 BT), I am not proud to say it, but that is my fate.

Here are the probable reasons why I failed:

1. Drowsiness: Although I had 1 day rest and all night sleep, I started well and felt so drowsy after the 10 minutes break. I could barely reason. My head was blocked and I yawned every minute. (I sincerely don't know why, was it stress? anxiety? excess adrenaline? stamina (It couldn't be lack of stamina because I work infront of a computer 8 hours/day Mondays to Fridays).
2. I started using the prepcast very late (3 weeks into the exams, and was constantly between 60-73%). I studied so well and intensively during the 3 months lockdown (March - June). I mastered the theories in Rita, Head First and could even recite pages in PMBOK, ... But, I needed just one more tool (Prepcast), which unfortunately I didn't take into consideration, because I study on my own as usual.
3. Long buffer period: From June onward, I started working, so my study pace slowed down authomatically, and I started being distracted and could even go for a whole week without studying. Each day, I kept on postponing my exams... :woohoo: . I took the exams in early August, when I had forgotten a lot of things. The ideal time was for me to write in June. So PLEASE, never study and relax.
4. Self study: As an African, I always go for the cheapest alternatives, though it becomes more expensive in the nearest future. I had my PMBOK, Rita, Head First (Which are all good sources,), but I didn't take part in a discussion, study group, nor had a coach. It is true many people study the cheap way and succeed, I sincerely needed more interaction and a tool like PM Prepcast.

HOW DO I FIX MY WRONGS?

- Is it a good practice to take coffee (Caffeine) before the exams? If yes, how many hours before? I have divided opinion after my Research, some say coffee is good (200mg), 4 hours before the exams, others condemn in. What was your experience, because sincerely, without my sleepy head, I could have been a PMP by now.
- Paying attention to the right and wrong answers on the PM Prepcast. You can answer right now, and in the next cycle you are wrong, so review every exams or quiz taken . My scores have increased on the PM Prepcast (Because, I have revised most of the questions). Now, How do I get an objective assessment of my knowledge level, when my good scores now is mostly because I have already revised the question in the quiz section?

LET MY STORY BE A SOURCE OF MOTIVATION.

As I said, I am not proud of sharing failure:( , I am rather proud to share my experience, so as to gain more experience and fix my wrongs.
I am POSITIVE and will make it in the second attempt.

Thank you and Goodluck to all

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login