fbpx

Reply: Passed My PMP - Lessons Learned

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed My PMP - Lessons Learned

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 8 months ago #22629

Jordan Escobar

Thank you! I take mine tomorrow and am so nervous! Congratulations!
3 years 8 months ago #22618

Felix Kamanga, PMP

Thank you very much, Reema, for sharing your experience.
I like your sentence "the exam is hard, it's challenging, but it's not impossible."
It is a good statement for those who are preparing to take the exam. You have to take your preparation seriously, and you will end up being rewarded for it.
Congratulation for your achievement!
3 years 8 months ago #22617

Reema Abouharb

I am pleased to report that I passed my PMP on July 30th, 2020 - here is my journey and lessons learned

My PMP journey started back in September 2019 when I started the LinkedIn Learning PMP prep course and tried to read the PMBOK Guide.
Keep in mind, I did not read the guide in great detail as it was dry and made me fall asleep. Instead I read the Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam
Prep at least 3 times! I did all the chapter questions and I bought and used the PMI Q&A's for PMBOK - it's a little book of practice
questions per knowledge area and has explanations.

My other resources were PMP mobile apps (PMI Guide & PMP Genius) and YouTube videos such as ExamsPM,
these helped continue my learning when my laptop/books are not available. Once I felt more confident in my
learning and was reaching 65-70% on mock exams, I knew I needed an exam simulator to take me to the next level.
There I purchased the PM Prepcast Exam Simulator. I completed 5 exams with scores: 75.5%, 78.5%, 77.5%, 73%, 77.5%.
I also took about 46 quizzes (10-20 questions each) mostly during the week, my mock exams were completed on the weekends.

With all that, I scheduled the exam for July 30th, I decided to take the exam at a testing center
as they had just opened in my area and I wanted that " I am going to take an exam" feeling vs
I am at home writing a mock exam (just my opinion).

The night before my exam, I looked over my notes, watched a few YouTube videos on risk
strategy and went to bed early.

Exam Day:
I was at the center by 7:30AM, worked through the first 89 questions, I didn't flag any of them
and I didn't review any of them, as I felt I was spending too much time re-reading and was fearful of
running out of time. After my 10 minute break, for the next set of questions I started to flag as a precaution.
I got about 3-5 formula calculation questions, many on change management, stakeholder,
and "what should the PM do" type questions. I had to build 2 network diagrams but luckily
no TCIP formula, phew! Also, the test center gives you a physical calculator and wipeable paper
booklet with a black marker - this was a great help as I hated the idea of using the online whiteboard.
I completed my next set of questions with 30 minutes to spare, I reviewed the questions I
flagged, changed the responses to two, closed my eyes and finished the exam.
When I saw congratulations, I was over the moon!

The exam is hard, it's challenging, but it's not impossible.
To compare the PMP Simulator exam questions to the actual exam, I would say the Simulator
prepares you for really wordy/situational questions. The actual exam questions was not as
wordy. I was challenged with a how vague some of the questions were - for those you try to
eliminate 2 and then you have a 50% chance of getting the right answer.

Anyways, that's my journey and lessons learned, good luck to everyone.

Reema Abouharb, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login