fbpx

Reply: Pj Scope Mgmt, Scope Statement vs Req. documenta

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Pj Scope Mgmt, Scope Statement vs Req. documenta

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
14 years 4 months ago #1003

Cornelius Fichtner

1. How come the scope statement is defined after collect requirements? It seems like we kind of waste time listening to the stakeholders wishes that may not be part of the scope statement that is at the SOW in the project charter.
I do understand that I have to use this definition for the PMP exam. But I want to see clearly the diference between "Pj Scope Statement" and "Requirements documentation" in real life.

There is a big difference between a requirement and scope. Let me give you an example that may be easier to understand:

- Customer requirement: We want to fly from London to New York in less than 6 hours.
- Project Scope: Hypersonic airplane

See the difference: The requirement is a customer need, a result that they are looking for and the scope is our approach of how we are going to achieve that result.

Also: You always listen to EVERYTHING that your customer says. If you don't listen to your customer you will miss the nuances of what they say. You may "lose" some time upfront, but you will know exactly what they want (requirements) and you can then deliver it (scope).

2.Acording to the PMBOK, who accept the "requirement documentation" and the "pj scope statement"? In case both of them are accepted by de coustomers side stakeholders.... steel not see the diference betwen then, seems like coustomer have to read almost the same document twice... and in real life... that's a little complicated.

Again, because requirements and scope are two totally different (but related) items you need to have them signed off separately.

3. On the "Verify scope process" they use as input the "requirement documentation" and the "Pj management plan". Why is not enough whith the "Pj management plan" that have the scope statement wich have almost the same elements than "Req. Documentation" (Description, acceptance criteria, constraints, etc)

Sometimes the PMBOK Guide is not logical. (Sorry, but that is really the best answer that I have for you.)
14 years 4 months ago #997

MICHELY T RIVAS

Good morning.

1. How come the scope statement is defined after collect requirements? It seems like we kind of waste time listening to the stakeholders wishes that may not be part of the scope statement that is at the SOW in the project charter.
I do understand that I have to use this definition for the PMP exam. But I want to see clearly the diference between "Pj Scope Statement" and "Requirements documentation" in real life.

2.Acording to the PMBOK, who accept the "requirement documentation" and the "pj scope statement"? In case both of them are accepted by de coustomers side stakeholders.... steel not see the diference betwen then, seems like coustomer have to read almost the same document twice... and in real life... that's a little complicated.

3. On the "Verify scope process" they use as input the "requirement documentation" and the "Pj management plan". Why is not enough whith the "Pj management plan" that have the scope statement wich have almost the same elements than "Req. Documentation" (Description, acceptance criteria, constraints, etc)

Tks a lot for your time to answer this.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login