fbpx

Reply: Preparing for PMP alone.

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Preparing for PMP alone.

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 9 months ago #21718

Aditya Pragada

Thank you so much Lisa.:)
I planned similarly when I posted my question that is 4 days for each Knowledge area including covering PMBOK. But with this approach , it's taking until July end to cover all the knowledge area's. There wouldn't be much time left to review another book. So was in a dilemma.

Also as you mentioned , trying the simulator after each knowledge area is a good idea. This will provide where I currently stand and also by reviewing incorrect answers not only help to understand the concept but when we come thru. those topics in PMBOK , it will help to memorize.

I can't thank enough. Appreciate for responding.
3 years 9 months ago #21709

Devin

There are a couple of popular PMP exam prep books, I bought one of them and did read through. It had some marginal value to read before reading the PMBOK, but generally I'm on the fence about exam PREP books. If you could fine one used or borrow one that might be worth it.

Hope this helps.
3 years 9 months ago #21693

Lisa Sweeney PMP

Hi Aditya,

Here’s the book I read when preparing for the PMP exam:
The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try, 6th Edition, by Andy Crowe (paperback, ISBN 9780990907473).

I liked the chapters and read them all. I did not like the book’s mock final exam; I found the questions did not follow PMBOK language and the answers were short and vague.

I spent about 3 months preparing for my exam, too, roughly about a week on each knowledge area. Here’s my weekly schedule:
  • Read one chapter about a Knowledge Area in Andy Crowe’s book, Monday-Thursday.
  • Listen to or watch PrepCast’s video lessons about the Knowledge Area, Monday-Thursday.
  • Take one 40-question quiz from PrepCast about the Knowledge Area I was studying, Monday–Thursday.
  • Take one full simulated exam from PrepCast at my local library on Saturday.
  • Review the exam questions answered incorrectly and make a flash card about each one on Sunday.

Also,
  • Before each quiz or test, I wrote down my brain dump and had it next to me while taking the assessment.
  • On my 1st pass through each quiz or test, I automatically skipped all questions that were more than 2 sentences or had calculations. On the 2nd pass, I tackled the 3+ sentence and calculation questions. I banked on the probability that the unscored, “experimental questions” were in this 2nd group of longer questions.

I wish you the best, Aditya. I'm rooting for you!

P.S. You are not alone in this. Keep posting questions and comments about your progress in the forum. You'll be amazed at the support you find here.
3 years 9 months ago #21687

Aditya Pragada

Thank you so much for replying.
One quick question : Did you study any other books other than PMBOK?
3 years 9 months ago #21686

Devin

This is a big question, but studies have shown that testing and spacing are the most valuable techniques to learning. That being said, I would:

1. Read the PMBOK and take notes(I do mine in excel). Your notes should be in the form of a questions: What are the key components in a project charter? Break the notes out by knowledge area, process number. New tab for each Knowledge area: Integration, Scope, etc.
2. I made flash-card for each process group (see pmbok. pg. 75 as an example). Highlight unique Inputs, Tools, and Main Outputs (repeat often). Many questions on the PMP will require you to know where you are in the overall process. I generally did this before going to bed.
3. Get the formulas down, I found a great video online that showed how to do the formulas and it was great (write the formulas down every day or so): Formula Study Guide
4. Take the Prepcast Test - Full Exam and walk away. The next day, review each question. Review the PMBOK to each wrong answer. Answers are categorized by: didn't know guessed, eliminated answers/guessed wrong, eliminated answers/guessed right, knew the answer. The key is to get yourself to have an intuition about the right answer or know the right answer.
5. Post review, add missing info to your notes in #1.
6. Restudy PMBOK questions/notes from #1 (#2 / #3 are iterative).
7. Retake exams. 1 per week worked for me. You should see your grades climb progressively.

I'm studying for the PBA now and passed the PMP recently and I'm doing the same thing for the PBA.
3 years 9 months ago #21684

Aditya Pragada

Good Evening,

I just started preparing for PMP exam. Going thru. the Module videos and studying PMBOK in parallel. Also, before gong thru. the certain Module , I'm making sure to first study that chapter in PMBOK and then go thru. the video.

I haven't created a solid study plan yet. Going through forum's and there are multiple opinions, each one is different.

Either way, I'm my case I have exactly 3 months to take the exam . lets say September 11 and need guidance on planning the exam preparation.
Need advice please.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login