fbpx

Reply: PMP Preparation : Strategy for taking the timed tests on PM Exam Simulator

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Preparation : Strategy for taking the timed tests on PM Exam Simulator

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 9 months ago #21648

Arindam Thakur

Dear Harry, Cornelius,

Thank you for the guidance on taking the timed tests, I would follow the same going fwd.

For the Glossary, I think I would go alphabetically rather than based on knowledge areas. :)

Warm Regards,
Arindam
3 years 9 months ago #21645

Arindam Thakur

's Avatar

Dear Cornelius/Harry,

Thank you very much for the guidance, I would follow the process as suggested.

For the Glossary part, I am trying to compile a list of my own, where Knowledge-area specific terms are identified first. But as you said, everything is intertwined, so not an easy task :)

Warm Regards,
Arindam
3 years 9 months ago #21627

Cornelius Fichtner

Hello Arindam

I agree with what Harry has said. In addition to that, here are my further notes for you:

1. For each test, what should be an optimal number of questions? I can see I can select up to 100 questions for each of them, but I just wanted to know what should be a logically good number of questions to attempt per knowledge area before attempting the full test.

There definitely is no "optimal" number. My recommendation would instead be to look at how much time you have available. For example, if you have 1 hour available, then take a quiz with 25 questions. It will take you about 30 minutes to complete a quiz with 25 questions, and then you can spend another 30 minutes in reviewing. And this is the important part: Always spend AT LEAST the same amount of time reviewing as it takes you to take the quiz. You want to have time to go through all the questions one by one and see why you had answered incorrectly. And you want to even look at those that you answered correctly and read the explanations so that the concept will solidify in your mind.

2. Is there any list of PMBOK6 Glossary terms for each knowledge area, so that while reviewing the chapter, I could revise the glossary items too.

I have never heard of such a list and it's pretty hard to do because of how interconnected everything is. For example the term "Expert Judgment" is most likely used in every single Knowledge Area.

However, that much said, please take a look at appendix X6 of the PMBOK Guide (page 685). This appendix has a table that shows you where many of the tools are being used across the knowledge areas.
3 years 9 months ago #21613

Harry Elston

Arindam:

I used the simulator based on how many questions I had time to answer at the moment. I did complete 4 full exams (4-hours each), but i used the simulator more for quizzes varying from 10-50 questions, depending on time and material. From the "quiz" approach, I don't thin there is an optimal number of questions to prepare. I do, however, recommend that you make use of the "only unanswered questions" option and go through the entire 1600+ test bank.

With respect to your second question: Glossary items come up in each knowledge area. I used a paper copy of the PMBOK and took notes on the pages and in the margins. I have not seen a compiled list of terms for each area.

Hope that helps,

Harry
3 years 9 months ago #21602

Arindam Thakur

Dear Cornelius,

I have completed the first round of deep studies into the concepts of the PMP exam - from PMBOK6. I now know things better than how I was a couple of weeks ago, although I need to revise the chapters again at least 2 more times before I can be confident to take the exam.

In order to start the revision process, I wanted to follow the PM Study Coach guides along with the tests on PM Exam Simulator. For starter, I want to take the timed tests for each knowledge area and gather confidence before trying out the full-length tests.

I need help in deciding the following points:
1. For each test, what should be an optimal number of questions? I can see I can select up to 100 questions for each of them, but I just wanted to know what should be a logically good number of questions to attempt per knowledge area before attempting the full test.
2. Is there any list of PMBOK6 Glossary terms for each knowledge area, so that while reviewing the chapter, I could revise the glossary items too.

Best Regards,
Arindam

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login