fbpx

Reply: Passed on First Attempt - quick suggestions for study plan

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed on First Attempt - quick suggestions for study plan

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 1 month ago #20078

Emily Rivera, PMP

Congrats, Mark!
4 years 1 month ago #20076

Elizabeth Harrin

Congratulations, Mark!
4 years 1 month ago #20070

Mark Dole

I passed the PMP exam on my first attempt on 02/14/2020. Feels great. I appreciate the PMP PrepCast and the forum.
For those starting their PMP studies, there are my quick suggestions.
- Enjoy the PMP PrepCast. I found it effective to read or review the PMBOK Guide Chapter and then use the PMP PrepCast to cement understanding of the chapter.
- Memorize the Process Groups and Knowledge Area Mappings (Table 1-4) as soon as possible. It makes the subsequent study more effective. After understanding the introductory chapters (1 to 3) take time to memorize the table in order to understand the relationships. (Many (most) questions test your knowledge of the sequence or relationship between processes on Table 1-4.)
- Memorize the components of the Project Management Plan and Project Documents (Table 4-1) early in your studies. Use Table 4-1 as a constant reference in order to understand the relationships. (Many questions test knowledge of the items listed on Table 4-1, such as recalling which processes develop key documents as outputs.)
- Look for the basic relationships linking the processes together: the flow of deliverables, verified deliverables, validated deliverables; the flow of work performance data, information, and reports; and the development of plans, baselines, change requests, approved changes. (Taking the time to understand these relationships greatly improves comprehension when reading PMBOK Guide or listening to PMP PrepCast.)
- Study the list of Tools and Techniques listed in the Appendix. I would not suggest memorizing the table in the appendix, but definitely ensure familiarity with all techniques listed in that chart (e.g. tornado chart, scatter plot, nominal decision, etc.) (Many questions test knowledge of a specific tool and technique.) Understanding the tool and technique allows easier recall of which process utilizes that item.
- Practice exams can be helpful. Don't be discouraged by practice exams. Some questions require selecting the best option or interpreting a situation, so there will always be a few disagreements. I spent a lot of time on sample exams but never could get above an 80% average score, yet I passed the real exam.
- Read the question! The questions often include key words in order to test specific concepts or points of knowledge. Before the exam, practice carefully reading sample questions.

Best wishes.
Mark

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login