fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Confusing answer

Confusing answer 4 years 5 months ago #19075

• Jaydip Chakrabarti
  • Jaydip Chakrabarti's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,

While preparing through exam questions & answers, came across following :

You hired a programmer for $25/hour for two months. What kind of contract is this?
(a) CPIF
(b) Fixed Price
(c) Time & Material
(d) CPAF

Correct Answer : C.

Why ? In the event of fixed price $25/hour and lack of other information on the question ( i.e., material, schedule etc ) why the answer is not B ?

Can anyone please help explaining ?

Thanks

Confusing answer 4 years 5 months ago #19076

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
It's not a fixed price contract because you are paying for their time. They will get paid based on the number of hours worked on the job (and any materials that they use to develop the product).

A fixed price contract would look like this: "I am paying you X dollars to do ____. " (In other words, no matter how much time they spend on the job, they are getting X dollars.)

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

Confusing answer 4 years 5 months ago #19077

• Tracy Shagnea, PMP
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 46
Hi Jaydip,

In short, it is not a fixed price contract because the amount to be paid will be based on the number of hours worked by the contractor. If he works 100 hours, then he'll be paid $2500. If he works 400 hours he'll be paid $10,000.

On the other hand, if he was contracted to be paid, for example, $7500 to deliver a particular piece of software regardless of the hours expended, that would be a fixed price agreement.

In the question, the contractor is to be paid based on the time he spends doing the work, thus making this a time & material contract, even though there may be no material costs involved.

I hope this helps!

Best of luck in your studies,

Tracy
Forum Moderator
PMP, CSM, M.S. Management
Last edit: by Tracy Shagnea, PMP.

Confusing answer 4 years 5 months ago #19079

• Jaydip Chakrabarti
  • Jaydip Chakrabarti's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Harry and Tracy for the explanation.

I actually overlooked 2 MONTHS. I thought 2 hours.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login