fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Clarification about EEF & OPA from PMBOK6

Clarification about EEF & OPA from PMBOK6 4 years 9 months ago #17662

• Ashvini K. Chhabra
  • Ashvini K. Chhabra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I need clarification for the enterprise environmental factors (EEF) & organization process assets( OPA) for the following knowledge areas from PMBOK 6

Integration Management

Page 79 - Project, program & portfolio governance is mentioned under OPA as an input to develop project charter. To my best of understanding , governance framework should be under EEF . On page 78, organization governance framework is mentioned under EEF for this same process.

In chapter 2 of PMBOK 6, frameworks are neither mentioned in EEF nor in OPA.

Stakeholder Management

Plan stakeholder engagement process

In EEF, personnel & administration policies are mentioned on page 519 . As mentioned in chapter 2 of PMBOK 6, policies & procedure are part of OPA on page 38 . In resource management chapter HR policies are mentioned in EEF on page 315. Personnel & administration is the old term for HR.

In OPA, software tools needed to support effective stakeholder engagement is mentioned on page 520. In chapter 2 of PMBOK 6, software tools are mentioned under EEF on page 38.

Please share your inputs for the clarification.

Clarification about EEF & OPA from PMBOK6 4 years 9 months ago #17724

• Joe Pang
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 98
Hi Ashvini,

These are some really great questions. EEFs and OPAs appear throughout the PMBOK, and you will come into them almost every chapter. In order to make sense of EEFs and OPAs, one must first understand what they define and how they affect the project.

EEFs refer to conditions, not under the control of the project team, that influence, constrain or direct the project

OPAs are the plans, processes, policies, procedures, and knowledge bases specific to and used by the performing organization. These assets influence the management of the project.

Source: PMBOK 6, pg 38-39

When you are studying, it is best to understand what the specific EEF/OPA will do to the particular process, instead of memorizing which process has what as EEF/OPA

Hope this helps,
Joe
Toronto-based project manager, I specialize in capital construction projects and digital transformation projects for the power & utility sector.

I welcome all types of collaboration opportunities, feel free to connect with me on Linkedin
Last edit: by Joe Pang.

Clarification about EEF & OPA from PMBOK6 4 years 9 months ago #17728

• Ashvini K. Chhabra
  • Ashvini K. Chhabra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Joe. I did read the PMBOK 6's chapter 2 which talks about the descriptions of EEF & OPAs. Based on the explanation mentioned in chapter 2 , I tried to map those EEF & OPA in the other chapters where I found the discrepancies. Still not getting the clarity.

Clarification about EEF & OPA from PMBOK6 4 years 9 months ago #17729

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 604
Hello Ashvini,

Most likely you will never get full clarity on this and you will also find a lot of discrepancies. The PMBOK Guide is not perfect in this regard. They try. But there are soooooo many of these...
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login