fbpx

Reply: Feedback on my project summaries for the PMP application

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Feedback on my project summaries for the PMP application

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 11 months ago #17104

Shannon Davis

OK, are these two a better representation of what I should be trying to do ? It is the same format as above , and I have tried to stick to the terminology from PMBOK, but I almost feel like I am copying the processes straight out of the book.

Objective: Design and build biodiesel equipment for small to medium producers.
Role: PM
IN: Develop project charter, Identify key stakeholders
PL: Define activities, Estimate costs , prepared the risk management plan, Planned procurements.
EX: Managed project work, Conduct procurements, Manage project knowledge.
MC: Control product quality, Monitor communications, Monitor risks
CL: Create final report, Transfer accepted deliverables to sales staff
Outcome: Business was able to market deliverables to a diverse marketplace

Objective: Design and build facility to produce Marine diesel from recycled industrial oils
IN: Developed project charter
PL: Collected requirements from stakeholders, Determine budget , prepared the risk management plan, Planned procurements.
EX: Managed project work, acquire resources, manage quality.
MC: Control scope, Monitor communications, Control Schedule
CL: Create final report, Transfer accepted deliverables to production staff
Outcome: Business was able to move production to a higher profit market
4 years 11 months ago #17101

Joe Pang

Hi Shannon, I think it looks good with only 1 minor correction. See my blue texts below

Shannon Davis wrote: Here is a quick copy and paste of the list above, but updated with one of my projects. Does this seem to fit the needs? It doesn't really explain much of anything about my contributions to the project in my opinion, but I am unsure .

IN: Collected requirements from stakeholders, scoped high-level plan. (These two belong to the planning group. the IN group is more about developing project charter and identifying stakeholders)
PL: Prepared WBS , prepared the risk management plan, Planned procurements.

Cheers,
Joe
4 years 11 months ago #17099

Shannon Davis

Here is a quick copy and paste of the list above, but updated with one of my projects. Does this seem to fit the needs? It doesn't really explain much of anything about my contributions to the project in my opinion, but I am unsure .

IN: Collected requirements from stakeholders, scoped high-level plan.
PL: Prepared WBS , prepared the risk management plan, Planned procurements.
4 years 11 months ago #17094

Shannon Davis

Joe,
I am glad I found this , I have the same questions. Would this be the best format to follow in my application , or is there any other format that would be optimal? All of my projects are primarily construction projects within the energy/renewable energy sector and the hours breakdown is does not seem so clearly defined on a day to day basis for these projects. I can do a breakdown, but it will be very difficult to justify considering the complexity of these projects. I appreciate any input you may have
4 years 11 months ago #17034

Joe Pang

Hi Justin,

I'd like to commend you for doing the research before submitting your application. The format is spot on, you used acronyms at the right places, and you stated the objectives role and outcome for each project. There are some things I want to point out in order for you to maximize your chance of acceptance though, see blue texts below:

Justin wrote: Objective: Set up IT infrastructure for a small home health business.
IN: Assessed diligence from the seller (Not an official PMP process), identified risks (this belongs to Planning), scoped high-level plan.
PL: Prepared WBS using Excel (Just "Prepared WBS" is sufficient), prepared the risk management plan.
EX: Executed tasks (Not a PM task), obtained resources, created user accounts (not a PMP process).
MC: Monitored progress with local and remote resources. (could be two processes) Updated risk response plans. ("Monitored Risks")
CL: Documented details in our CRM, got final shareholder approvals.
Outcome: Business able to utilize IT tools on day 1 of new ownership.

4 years 11 months ago #17021

Justin

's Avatar

I'm part way through the application and would like to get some feedback on my project summaries. 550 characters seems way too short to say anything significant given the constraints as I understand them-- which are to use PMBOK terms as much as possible. So... I'm just going to put 3 of my project summaries out here and ask for your scrutiny. The way I approached this (since 95% of my projects were very similar business acquisitions) was to create a formula in Google Sheets which pieces together mostly similar language with a few variables thrown in.
==============
Objective: Set up IT infrastructure for a small home health business.
IN: Assessed diligence from the seller, identified risks, scoped high-level plan.
PL: Prepared WBS using Excel, prepared the risk management plan.
EX: Executed tasks, obtained resources, created user accounts.
MC: Monitored progress with local and remote resources. Updated risk response plans.
==============
Objective: Set up IT infrastructure for a large home health and hospice business.
IN: Assessed diligence from the seller, identified risks, scoped high-level plan.
PL: Prepared WBS using Basecamp 2, prepared the risk management plan.
MC: Monitored progress with local and remote resources. Updated risk response plans.
==============
Objective: Set up IT infrastructure for a large homecare business.
PL: Prepared WBS using Smartsheet, prepared the risk management plan.

Feel free to reply with your honest comments and assessment. I'd rather find out I'm off track now rather than get rejected by PMI (and potentially push out my testing date).

Also, does anyone know if submitting many similar projects like this would disqualify me for some reason? I haven't been able to find an answer to that question in any of the official PMI webpages.

Thanks all!!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login