fbpx

Reply: New To PrepCast

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : New To PrepCast

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 5 months ago #15450

John Wolverton

Lekecia
Flashcards, simulator and a cup of tea!
Best Wishes,
jfw
5 years 5 months ago #15449

Genevieve Pluviose, PMP

Hi,

I just wanted to wish you good luck. Cornelius's simulator is really helpful -- use it and you will pass the 3rd time!!
FYI, I used Joseph Phillips UDEMY materials and I feel they are good for basic information but they way he phrased his questions wasn't helpful and I stopped using them.

You can do it!!!
5 years 5 months ago #15448

Kecia

Please feel free to reply as I love feedback. Since I started this thread as a cry for help (LOL) to which I received two awesome life jackets, I will continue the thread to update my progress. Hopefully my journey can help motivate others to be press forward even after failing 2 times. Anyway....

So, let me tell you, I was pumped to finally get access to PrepCast. I'm kinda kicking my hinney for not using the course and exam simulator the first time I attempted to take the exam. In mere excitement I rushed home after work (around 7pm EST) and went straight into mock exam 1. LOL Who cares about a bedtime?! Surprisingly, I was able to concentrate through the entire exam and finished around midnight with minutes to spare. Now, because I was ready for bed, I didn't even bother going back and reviewing (aka second guessing) my "marked" questions.

Score 71%
Initiating - 80.77% (AT)
Planning - 60.87% (BT)
Executing - 75% (AT)
MC - 72.55% (T)
Closing - 61.54% (BT)

Tonight I will spend as recommended 3 hours reviewing and studying the wrong answers. Then I will make mock exam 2 a Friday night date with a review Saturday.

So again, I very much appreciate Cornelius and Joe for leaning in and providing valuable advice. To be continued....
5 years 5 months ago #15445

Cornelius Fichtner

Lekecia,

I think that Joe's advice is spot on.

You have already taken a lot of exam prep training. From where I am looking at this, it seems that your issue might be that you have trouble applying all your knowledge correctly to exam questions. So Joe's suggestion of taking an exam and then critically looking not only at your performance but also looking at how you feel, what your stress level is, of how much the countdown clock stresses you is a good approach.

I would like to add the suggestion that you spend at least the same amount of time reviewing the questions as it took you to take the exam.

So if it takes you 3.5 hours to go through a full 200-question exam, then spend at least another 3.5 hours going through the questions again afterward. Look at all the general explanations for the questions and pay particular attention to those that you got wrong. We now have 'per choice explanations' which tell you exactly why each of the four answer choices is / is not correct. In that way, you can learn from your mistakes and take another step forward.
5 years 5 months ago #15443

Kecia

Mr. Pang,

Thank you! For my 1st prepcast mock exam, I will use your strategy to identify the root cause to missed questions and concepts and report back Friday 10/26.

:)
5 years 5 months ago #15441

Joe Pang

Hi Lekecia,

Looks like you have done a lot of work in regards to preparation. Let's dig deeper so that we can tailor a study strategy for you in the next 90 days.

The next time you do a mock exam, I want you to pay attention to the following:
1. Do you have sufficient time to read every questions carefully?
2. How is your stress level?
3. When you're finish with the mock exam and checking for wrong answers, categorize them as
  • You got it wrong because you never came across this concept when studying
  • You studied this concept before, but you remembered the details wrong and thus causing you to answered incorrectly
  • You know that concept perfectly, however you made a careless mistake (reading the answers wrong)
4. Marked questions: Do you feel that you got most of them correct without going back to change answers? Or you feel the need to revisit the questions the second time in order to get them right?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login