fbpx

Reply: PMP Application - Many Projects Managed

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Application - Many Projects Managed

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 5 months ago #15285

Cynthia Lim Louis, PMP

Hi Danielt,

The most important criteria you need is whether you have met the application eligibility requirements (see page 6 of PMP handbook). If you have met the requirements, read the application tips on PMI website: www.pmi.org/certifications/types/project...pmp/application-tips . What PMI is looking for is your role and responsibilities, not a list of all the projects you managed or customer portfolios. Here are some tips which I used when I applied for my PMP exams (provided the application form is still the same):

1. Log in to your account, click "Apply Now". On the left hand side of the screen, you will see the different section that you need to fill in, write down the questions on a piece of paper, this will give you a sense of what you need to fill in. Don't worry, as long as you don't click "submit" any where on the screen, you can keep working on your application.

2. Use the Exam Content Outline as a guide to describe what you did for each of the project. In the description section, you are only allowed 150 words (I can't remember the exact characters allowed but you can confirm from the application site), and so use abbreviations, e.g., "OBJ" for "Objective"; "&" for "and" and so on.

3. The application site would require you to break down the projects, so use the most current project you are working on, calculate the hours you put it from start, and then work backwards, that is, in descending order. One important thing to note is while calculating the hours, remember that overlapping hours between two projects are counted once (see page 8 of PMP Handbook).

I hope the above helps you get started with your application process. If you have any questions, post it here and we will try our best to help you.

Regards,
Cynthia
5 years 5 months ago #15260

danielt

's Avatar

I work for a manufacturer that provides parts for the solar industry. I am responsible for confirmed that we have an acceptable contract and scope, verifying our proposal for the customer, managing the design and engineering process, material procurement schedule, shipping schedules, construction (sometimes I hire a subcontractor, and other times I provide installation support for the customer's sub), change orders, and warranty and closeout processes. I have managed literally hundreds of projects.

How best to put those on the application? Is listing dozens of projects realistic? (Especially since obviously the objectives, processes, etc are the same across the projects).

Would it be best to break down the projects by customer portfolios or something like that?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login