fbpx

Reply: Is IT Enough? Studying for the PMP Exam

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Is IT Enough? Studying for the PMP Exam

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 6 months ago #15132

Genevieve Pluviose, PMP

Richard,

You must do full 4 hour exams. That develops your test taking muscles.......
If you find it a challenge in your study area, how are you going to fare in the Test Center?
5 years 6 months ago #15131

Joe Pang

Hi Richard,

I find that doing the mock exam is an excellent way to gauge your readiness. From what I gathered, you still have 5 additional mock exams available to you, I'd suggest to finish them all (Bonus: Try the other mock exam providers as well). Not only do they close your knowledge gaps, they also train your exam endurance. Although thorough knowledge of the PMBOK is important, your physical condition, mental agility and stress level also play a crucial part in the actual exam.

Cheers,
Joe
5 years 6 months ago #15128

Amy Martinez

Richard-

As you have probably seen, reading through the forum and "Lessons Learned" posted by others who have taken the PMP, that each person has a very individual and unique style for learning and what has worked for them to properly prepare for the test. It sounds like you are on the right track with the study tools that you have listed below, but only you will know if you are truly grasping the content of the PMBOK given the amount of time and resources that you are committing to preparing for the exam.

I found the PM Prepcasts to be extremely helpful in understanding the concepts and not just memorizing them. I liked that I could squeeze a podcast in before work, at lunch, and a few in the evening. I also found that Rita's PMP Exam Book offered some good "nuggets" of advice on strategy and technique on some of the challenging concepts. But again, these were tools that benefited my learning style and my lifestyle at the time of the exam.

I would keep at it with the resources you are using and see how you progress as you move closer to your exam date. I hope this helps!

Amy
5 years 6 months ago #15127

Richard Billingsley

After reading through several of the posts and the different techniques used in studying I wonder if I am doing enough.

What I do:
1. I use the PMP Exam Simulator - after doing one of the full exams I go back and review the items I missed or marked. I may use the reference info at the bottom if I wanted more info. I have gone through Exam 1 & 2 and currently on Exam 3 (scored 63.5% on the first run).
2. I started using the Quizzes to do shorter study runs. Working through a 4-hour exam is a challenge.
3. I have transferred (cut & paste) the ITTO's from the BMBOK guide to my OneNote where I can scan and study whenever I have free time.
4. I practice the Process Chart and Formulas every day.
5. I have read sections of the PMBOK guide, but have not made it a focus of study.

I also have Rita's PMP Exam Prep 9th Edition but have not used it as a focused study guide.

While I have done PM work in the past, it has been many years and I need the PMP.
I need to lock this down on the first attempt!

AM I DOING ENOUGH? Am I missing anything?

Thank you,

Richard..

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login