fbpx

Reply: parametric estimating and metrics DIFFERENCE

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : parametric estimating and metrics DIFFERENCE

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
14 years 5 months ago #788

Lucia R

hello Cornelius, tks for your clear reply as usual!!!, as I am new at forums, forgive my question but is it all right to thank this way or should I press karma and applaud or what is the usual way to be kind and appreciate the support somebody gives at clarifying and reply when I ask a question
14 years 5 months ago #787

Lucia R

tks a lot! clear now
14 years 5 months ago #751

Cornelius Fichtner

Lucia,

Yes, you have it right.

Parametric estimating is used when you are estimating the cost of a project. For example: bathroom floor costs $20 per square meter, therefore 100 square meters cost $2,000

Metrics are mostly used in the sense of "project targets". Example: After our project is implemented we want to increase production by 15%.
14 years 5 months ago #749

JD Crump, PMP, ITIL-F

Lucia:

I believe you have it correct already. Parametric estimating is an action whereas metrics are measurements or outcomes. Thus, parametric estimating would not only use metrics as input (historical data) but also produce a new set of metrics (measurements or outcomes) after compared to a set of parameters.

JD
14 years 5 months ago #748

Lucia R

PMBOK 4th edition page 150 is clear about what are parametric estimates, however the word metrics appears also in several materials regarding project management, this is a subtle question but for some reason I relate these 2 terms, however I would like to know if somebody understands the real difference between PARAMETRIC ESTIMATING AND METICS, I relate "metrics" more to the result of measurements and "parametric estimating" more to the process itself of calculating data with information given, I would very much appreciate if someone would like to comment on this. -I am only learning to take the PMP exam so pls excuse since surely engineers might think question is not worthwhile, I therefore apologize but formus are precisely to help each other so I thought I would give it a try. thank you very much for the attention you may give to my doubt.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login