fbpx

Reply: Exam application as a consultant

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Exam application as a consultant

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 4 months ago #18880

Mani Selvan

Hi,

You can use your customer manager as the reference as long as they are aware all the work done for the project that you delivered.

Regards

Mani
4 years 4 months ago #18866

NicolasD

's Avatar

Hi, I was in the same situation years ago, consutant at a client facility during 3 years managing design change projects under the supervision of the customer. I was working directly in the client office/facility and was conciderated as part of the client's engineering team. My direct manager has not a precise idea of what I was doing. I was reporting directly on a weekly/daily basis to my customer on the project I managed. I am afraid that If i use my direct managers as direct contact for the PMP application, they will have no idea of what to answer (I forgot to mention that during the 3 years I had 3 differents managers and only 1 client, same contact for the 3 years). In this case, can I use the customer as contact for my PMP application ?
Thank you in advance for your precious advices!
5 years 6 months ago #14990

John Wolverton

A silly answer, but yes. Who ever can best answer the questions if asked. Since they’re filling out the audit form they need to know what you did. I had to get the one that saw what I did day to day to fill it out vursus the client who liked the finished product but had no idea how to answer the PMI questions. Does this help? PMI just wants good evidence you did what you said you did.
5 years 6 months ago #14982

Anonymous

's Avatar

Hi John, thank you for the quick reply. When you say you "tracked down the original managers you worked for", do you mean your line managers from the companies that employed you, or the client? Because I've only had one manager on the client side with/for whom I've been actually working for years, he is aware of my PMI application and could provide information if asked during the audit. He and his organisation are not my employer though, but this is not a requirement from PMI from what I know.
Hope my question is actually clear, maybe I need to re-word it again :)
5 years 6 months ago #14979

John Wolverton

Iris - Like you, I had multiple jobs and with different organizations, so I told just the facts of the situation. Then I got audited! In the resubmittal I tracked down the original managers I worked for and ensured the we were using the same language/terms. You may have been a consultant however you did a job as a project manager like “project development” or “execution of the project.” Recommend you use the terms used by PMI and talk to those that may be contacted in case of an audit. Jfw
5 years 6 months ago #14977

Iris

's Avatar

Hi, I am working on my application as a consultant in project management and I am unsure what to put in for organization and contact details.
I have seen that the general consensus online is you should put the company you work for/your employer, not the customer for whom you do the projects. Here in this forum someone said the reason for this is this would be easier during the audit, having only one contact instead of many project contacts.
Now, in my case it's the other way round: I have changed my employer some time ago, but I have been working on long-running projects for the same customer during all this time that I need to qualify for the PMP application. So basically, I only have one contact on the customer side (who also is the one who has actual knowledge of my work) but would have several contacts from my employers (who do not really know that well what I do on the daily basis, especially my former employer).
So my question is, would it be OK to just provide the details of the customer company and the contact person who is also from that company?
Also, my job title would then be "Consultant" in each project, and the project role depending on the situation, is this correct?
Thank you in advance for your useful tips - I am a bit stuck on this one.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login