fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Startup founder - project?

Startup founder - project? 5 years 8 months ago #14510

• Grant
  • Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I emailed PMI with this question and they just sent back a vague, unhelpful response. So I'm trying here:

I see on the PMP application PMI asks for "organization contact"... well, what if the project is a startup that I founded, and managed the build of the product and launched it in App Store, but it's not an actual "organization" yet? It's not incorporated as a company. But it should still count as a project; was a LOT of work. It wasn't an "employer" situation. Can this still count?

I don't really have any "organization contact" in terms of a Supervisor because I am the Founder of the endeavor. Could I use a Developer I worked with on this project under the "organization contact" field? How would I classify him under "contact relationship" field? Client? (in the sense that I was his client; he was building the app for me).

Startup founder - project? 5 years 8 months ago #14511

• Ty Weston, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Would you state what PMI responded with?
Normally, PMI would need a Supervisor or manager's signature to verify the project in case of an audit. I am not clear on this, but I think you could have someone on the project verify as well, because there are situations where your Supervisor or manager may not be around any more, so someone would have to vouch for you.
Keep in mind the Code of Ethics when reporting any history.

Startup founder - project? 5 years 8 months ago #14514

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Really?... I find it hard to believe that a startup project that I am the Founder of and have worked on over the course of multiple years cannot be counted as a project for PMP exam because I didn't have a "Supervisor" on the project. I was my own supervisor. This is ridiculous.

PMP responded with: The organization contact would be the person who has knowledge of your project management experience. We define a project as a temporary endeavor, with a set beginning and ending. The project manager is the one who is leading cross functional teams in the areas of initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, controlling, and closing the project.

Startup founder - project? 5 years 8 months ago #14516

• Luke Ho
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Keep in mind that running a business is not a project in itself as per definition by PMI "It's a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service or result." However, it's completely understandable that anyone who has built a business from scratch has performed many projects in order to get the company off the ground.

In addition, it will be an issue with the application when claiming your experience that you were a sole proprietor with no partners or employees. PMI will require "a colleague, peer, client or sponsor who has intimate knowledge of the project verify this experience" for your application. PMI will reserve the right to contact the listed individuals to verify. If there is an exception to this, PMI has not made it public.

Startup founder - project? 5 years 8 months ago #14517

• Kevin Nason
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I agree with Luke on this.

Luke Ho wrote: Keep in mind that running a business is not a project in itself as per definition by PMI "It's a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service or result." However, it's completely understandable that anyone who has built a business from scratch has performed many projects in order to get the company off the ground.

In addition, it will be an issue with the application when claiming your experience that you were a sole proprietor with no partners or employees. PMI will require "a colleague, peer, client or sponsor who has intimate knowledge of the project verify this experience" for your application. PMI will reserve the right to contact the listed individuals to verify. If there is an exception to this, PMI has not made it public.

Startup founder - project? 5 years 8 months ago #14521

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
A product was created. As stated in the original message, I launched the app to the App Store. That was a project.
There was an employee/contractor. As previously stated: I worked with a Developer/Programmer to build the app. There wasn't a SUPERVISOR/MANAGER, though. I was my own supervisor on this project, as the Founder of the startup.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login