fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: What NOT to do

What NOT to do 5 years 10 months ago #14413

• Swapnil Khole
  • Swapnil Khole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Since, I failed in my first attempt of PMP, I think, I am in better position to share the learnings, since I know better on what NOT to do rather than what to doJ. And yes, I did clear it in the 2nd attempt.
Common mistakes done:
Mistake no 1: Overconfidence: yes, and I bet many don't realize this while preparing that they are overconfident. Perhaps, after failing, people understand it, so a caution. "Don't take it lightly". For me, I have cleared many certifications in the first attempt so I was under the impression, "what so big deal with PMP", but I was wrong. I was even comforting myself that so many other folks (read idiot folks) in my organization have done it, so I should be able to crack it easily, but I was wrong. Everyone has his own journey and they deserve the success of their hard work too. So, don't be under the impression that you'll be able to crack it easily. PMI doesn't take you lightly; they're a bunch of serious folks.

Mistake no 2: I don't have to spend extra penny in these online paid mock exams kits (like simplilearn, prepcast etc).
Like many others, I didn't want to spend a single extra buck on this exam other than my application fees. After all, I have NOT done it for many of my earlier certifications. I, again comforted myself that there are many online free exams, let me take them and I should be good. But, the biggest mistake is, these online exams do NOT tell you why you are wrong. They don't tell you why your right choice is really right. Basically, you don't retrospect. I had answered almost all the free questions available online but never bothered to understand why I was wrong. I just used to shrug my shoulders and murmur, "hmm, maybe I was wrong". Trying to find out why you are wrong and why the right one is right is VERY VERY important. Pay attention to that. Before my second attempt, I used Prepcast and it gave me an insight on where I was wrong and most importantly - WHY. After all, you've paid these guys and they'll tell you in paragraphs on why you're wrong with conviction as opposed to a single liner available in online free exams which leave you clueless many times.

Mistake no 3: When it comes to an exam, I can put myself together for 4 hours. I don't need a MOCK exam at home.
Take it again. Many of aspirants here are working professionals with family, kids and many other responsibilities. Gone are our graduate, college days when we used to sit around for an exam for 3 or 4 hours. We are NO longer habitual to it. Again, don't take it lightly. Many online mock exam kits make you sit for 4 hours. Time management on this exam for 4 hours is also a key. If you don't get an answer to a question straight, jumping to next one is important. You've to take that decision in that moment and these MOCK exams prepare you for that. I remember, I spent a lot of time on many questions in my 1st attempt. These MOCK exams, for that matter, prepare your brain for 4 hours and enforces you to learn the time management of 4 hours. No MOCK exam contains the actual questions getting asked in the PMP, so do NOT buy it under the impression that you've bought the PMI-PMP question bank.

I cleared this exam on 19 Jun 2018 with 3 ATs, 1T and 1 BT. My 1st attempt was exact 20 days back with 2 ATs, 2 NIs and 1 BT. Bare it, it was a very close call but nonetheless a failure.

Fellow aspirants: Feel free to get in touch with me if you need any other info.

Wish you all the best for PMP success. It is a wonderful journey, tough at times but NOT impossible.

Swapnil.
PMP®, PSM®, ITIL®, ISTQB®

What NOT to do 5 years 10 months ago #14414

• Kevin Nason
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Swapnil

Very well stated on all points! I would like to add my comments to yours as follows;

Mistake no 3: When it comes to an exam, I can put myself together for 4 hours. I don't need a MOCK exam at home.

I took about 8 full mock prep exams and finished those with time to spare at home. On Exam Day I though I was moving at a normal good pace, but when I was done and went back to review a handful of questions I marked, I only had 5 minutes left. End result was a Pass, but time will go faster than you think it will.
I also found the actual exam time and day very draining, do take the advice and get a good amount of rest the day before!!

Kevin Nason
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swapnil Khole
Last edit: by Kevin Nason.

What NOT to do 5 years 10 months ago #14417

• Swapnil Khole
  • Swapnil Khole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
can't disagree Kevin. I remember in my 1st attempt, after almost an hour, I was completely exhausted. Instead of looking at question text, I was looking at question number, to gauge how many still to go, so that I can leave that room earlier. All I wanted after two hours was to be done with this exam. I clearly remember, I answered from 125 to 200 for the sake of answering. Sitting there for 4 hours, focused, is also a challenge and an endurance test. Take a good amount of rest the day before, take minimum 3 MOCK exams at home when your kids are asleep and train your brain for the day. I owe my success to prepcast too and big thanks to them.

What NOT to do 5 years 9 months ago #14455

• Jenikka Ebias
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Swapnil,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam and for sharing your tips here.

What NOT to do 5 years 8 months ago #14732

• Ram
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Apart from PMBOK, have you read other PMP prep books or was it just PMBOK?

What NOT to do 5 years 7 months ago #14991

• Swapnil Khole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Ram,

My apologies for answering late. Hope it is NOT too late.
I read Rita's 8th Edition first and then once my concepts were clear , I started reading PMBOK 6th Edition. After that, I read only PMBOK and touched Rita once or twice only for reference.
I wish you all the best for PMP.

Thanks,
Swapnil Khole.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login