fbpx

Reply: Passed on 1st attempt on 23 March

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed on 1st attempt on 23 March

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 3 days ago #13769

Genevieve Pluviose, PMP

Congratulations!
6 years 3 days ago #13763

Daniel Charpentier

I certainly don't recommend the study timeline that I used, about a week of focused study; however, I felt the materials I used were perfect for me. I read the PMP Exam Prep Essentials study guide and the Short Guide to the PMBOK Guide, both in the PM PrepCast store. These two guides were an extra purchase, but I found them very helpful. From these two products I felt like I understood the foundation of the PMBOK guide, Process Groups / Knowledge Areas / etc., but certainly not the minutia that I knew I needed to learn.

I then took the first exam in the simulator, but I only did this first exam in batches of 10-20 questions. I'd go through the first 10-20 questions, end the exam, and then review every single answer of that batch, right or wrong, while paying very close attention to the explanation of that question and the reasons why the correct answer was the right one and why the wrong answers were wrong. This was without a doubt the most impactful part of my studying. I appreciate the work that went into these explanations and what really sets the exam simulator apart from other sample tests. After making my way through the first exam using this method, I then took the second exam in full. At this point I still felt like I was nowhere near being close to where I needed to be but I actually got a 70.5 on that second exam. That isn't a great score, but it gave me some confidence because I knew my preparation was still in the first phase. I then reviewed all questions, both right and wrong, and the explanations in full. I then moved to exam 3 and received an 84.

At this point, I wanted feedback much quicker than the two hours it was taking to get through the exams so I then shifted to using the Timed Quizzes. I'd set it to give me 20-40 questions at a time, run through them, and then review the results, both right and wrong answers.

I cannot stress enough reviewing the explanations of not just what you got wrong but also what you got right. I felt like the actual exam was more difficult than the simulator but the explanations that are provided by the simulator made all the difference in the world.

I had also purchased the Head First PMP book but I only ended up using it as a reference for some of the types of questions that I kept getting wrong, mainly the formulas. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very well written book and I certainly would have read it cover to cover had I not passed this exam. It was very helpful when I needed to refer to it.

Also, Ailen Pedraza created a great PMP FlowMap that helped get my mind wrapped around all of the processes and how they interact. I can't remember if I found Ailen's article and product from a recommendation in this forum or from a google search but I'm glad I did.
www.linkedin.com/pulse/pmp-exam-success-...h-ailen-pedraza-pmp/

The exam itself was pretty difficult, I'm sure it would have been a bit easier had I followed a proper study plan, and contained much less formula type questions than I was expecting.

Now I'm just refreshing the PMI website every three seconds :-) waiting for my profile to update and to see my name on the registry. I see some others have seen theirs update in as quickly as a day or two and others had to wait up to two weeks.

I'll definitely be recommending the PM Prepcast to others.

Overall: Target
Performance by domain
Initiation: Above Target
Planning: Target
Executing: Target
Monitoring and Controlling: Below Target
Closing: Target

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login