fbpx

Reply: Project Closeout vs Validate Scope (accepted deliverables)

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Project Closeout vs Validate Scope (accepted deliverables)

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 11 months ago #13854

Anonymous

's Avatar

The keyword is “Final Acceptance”. So it is part of Closing phase which is Formal & Complete acceptance from customer(stakeholder). It is not a interim which is applicable to Validate scope.
5 years 11 months ago #13853

Helmut Schneider

's Avatar

Validate scope is concerned with inspecting the deliverable and validating the right things as done by the customer (e.g. an user acceptance test). This validation may be related to a single (sub)deliverable as well as to the complete product. The customer may accept under condition (minor issues not related to usability are still to be reworked). The project team is being involved as the rework goes back to execution (PDCA cycle) and after rework the processes of control quality and validate scope are being reapplied again.
Validate scope is concerned with accepting deliverables as done.

In close project or phase it is the FINAL acceptance. There may be still minor issues BUT they are no longer reworked and the outstanding issues may be negotiated and e.g. compensated in a monetary way. So in closing there is no execution (re)work by the project team.
Close Project or Phase is related to the final acceptance AND handover (with probably all legal consequences)

Hope this explains the difference....
6 years 16 hours ago #13811

Kimberly Villanueva

They key word in that sentence is "Final" acceptance. That would only come from Close. Paying close attention to the word chosen to describe the scenario is very important on the exam.
6 years 4 days ago #13760

Anonymous

's Avatar

My understanding is - via validate scope - customer accepts the deliverable - this is interim deliverable not the final deliverable
During the closure phase - consider this as final deliverable acceptance process by the customer
6 years 1 week ago #13728

Ty Weston, PMP

The accepted deliverables is under validate scope, but may or may not include everything yet. It could contain acceptance or specs, docs, partials etc. This also may or may not lead to project closure and really depends on how big the project is. The validate scope is there for everything piece of the puzzle.
The closure is the basket, which goes through and makes sure it was ALL complete. So all the deliverables will end up here to be confirmed again, so to speak.
Even though you accept deliverables under validate scope, you will still need to have all your deliverables reviewed for 'Final Acceptance' in the end.
You are just making sure the Whole Project has completed its objectives, rather than looking at an individual piece that was accepted.

That is my understanding.
6 years 1 week ago #13656

Mythile Thirukesan

's Avatar

The output of validate scope on the MC group is Accepted Deliverables and this is an input to Project Close.

However in the Exam Content Outline for Closing the first task is "obtain final acceptance of the project deliverables from relevant stakeholders in order to confirm that project scope and deliverables were achieved."

This would easily confuse me on an exam question. If someone asked me in which process do you obtain acceptance for project deliverables I would have said Validate Scope.

Can someone explain the difference? Thanks in advance!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login