fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Failed My First Attempt, What Now?

Failed My First Attempt, What Now? 6 years 2 months ago #13515

• RAzmat
  • RAzmat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi All
I failed my first attempt yesterday with these scores
1 AT
1 T
3x BT

I've been studying the last few months and have been really upset when I received my score. I'm thinking about appearing again before the exam shifts to v6 in what is now 21 days.
I'd like the opinions of the group to see if they would appear again within such a brief window. If you were planning on appearing, what would you do to prepare?
What I've done so far is the following
RMC x 2
PMBOX x 2
I've taken 7/8 tests on prepcasts

All input welcome
thanks

Failed My First Attempt, What Now? 6 years 2 months ago #13516

• Ty Weston, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
What were your score on PrepCast?

Failed My First Attempt, What Now? 6 years 2 months ago #13518

• RAzmat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
62,75,73,68,77,74,78, 81

I'm also taking several quizes and score 90% or higher

Failed My First Attempt, What Now? 6 years 2 months ago #13519

• Genevieve Pluviose, PMP
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I would retake the tests and really study the questions you got wrong. Analyze WHY you got them wrong and take the necessary steps to understand the subject matter. When do you wish to retake? Obviously, if it is after the 26th you must study additional topics....
Last edit: by Genevieve Pluviose, PMP.

Failed My First Attempt, What Now? 6 years 2 months ago #13520

• Tracy Shagnea, PMP
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 46
Hi RAzmat,

I think your scores were a bit marginal for someone heading into the actual PMP exam. Generally you want to see a scores consistently 80 or above before sitting for the real thing.

Because of another commitment, I only was able to take 3 mock PrepCast exams before taking the real one. I scored low to mid 80s on the mock tests and passed the real thing the first time. This is NOT because I'm a PMP genius, but because after each mock test I carefully analyzed the results to uncover my weaknesses (and my biggest weakness initially turned out NOT to be subject matter knowledge but rather the fact that I was reading questions too fast and answering right away, missing the subtleties of the questions - I had to learn to take a breath and slow down to read and think carefully).

Based on your prior mock test results and your real test result, you're pretty close. I would re-take the mock tests and spend time reviewing the results in detail. Then, try again.

As I said, you seem close... You can do this!

Tracy
Forum Moderator
PMP, CSM, M.S. Management

Failed My First Attempt, What Now? 6 years 2 months ago #13522

• RAzmat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Tracy
Thank you for your reply and assessment, I appreciate it. I'm in a real sticky situation since I'm hesitant to throw away all of my study time and re-learn what will essentially be a new test with PMBOK v 6. I had studied for months and am hesitant about the time commitment but I hate the pain of failing more than anything. I don't have a lot of time if I plan to attempt before the version change so any and all input from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Failed My First Attempt, What Now? 6 years 2 months ago #13547

• Glenn Sakamoto
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
RAzmat, there is no substitution for understanding the concepts before taking the test. Go back thru your exams and understand why you got them wrong.

Don't be ashamed to take the new v6 test to fully understand the concepts. Remember that this is not just a test to gain the credentials, you must understand the concepts and framework so that you can apply it in your career.

Study hard and get the results you deserve! Cheers,

Failed My First Attempt, What Now? 6 years 2 months ago #13580

• Sreejith
  • Sreejith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sorry to hear.

However, I suggest you retake the exam after focusing on studying/ concepts (rather than doing more mock-ups).

I would recommend you to type all the ITTOs of one knowledge area in an A3 sheet and manually draw lines (using different highlighter)from outputs of each process to where it is going as an input to another process in the same knowledge area.
For example - if you print "Integration" knowledge area in one sheet - all 5 process (from initiating to closing) & their ITTOs will be available in the same page. Once you start drawing/ linking the outputs to inputs you will get a better understanding of the concept and this visual picture will remain in your mind.

Another thing is to prioritize which knowledge areas you need focus on -
(I followed below, but you may follow based on which areas you achieved below targets)
1. Integration, 2. Procurement, 3. Stakeholder management (because "Initiating" only comes in 1&3, "Closing" only comes in 1&2)
4. HR, 5.Quality, 6.Time, 7.Scope
8.Risk, 9.Cost, 10. Communications

Good luck!

Failed My First Attempt, What Now? 6 years 1 month ago #13735

• RAzmat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
For those curious on the forum, I decided to study PMBOX v 6 which essentially throws away the last several months of studying and that really sucks.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login