fbpx

Reply: PMP Credential Application Form doubts

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Credential Application Form doubts

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
14 years 5 months ago #728

JD Crump, PMP, ITIL-F

Rodrigo:

I think your question is clear. I think their response was poorly worded.

Where they say "I can confirm that if you have worked in the project and it is a project management experience you may record this on your PMP application" I think it is supposed to say "If I can confirm that you have worked on the project and it the experience is project management related, you may record this on your PMP application."

So, it comes back around to for whatever direct project management activities you are going to claim, what was your role in that capacity? I would say manager or project manager.

Where it could get a little odd is if you put yourself down as the manager and then later you put yourself down also the sponsor on the same project. In those situations I would put your boss or customer or someone else who was involved in the project and could attest to your role(s).

Good luck!

JD

14 years 5 months ago #713

Rodrigo Brito

I got the answer from PMI, but first I will quote my email to them and then you judge their answer.

I wrote:

“I am busy filling my PMP Credential Application Form and I have a doubt about page 3 regarding the roles that are valid to claim hours of experience.

In my position I am frequently the sponsor of technical projects, but I've noticed that Sponsor is not a listed option as a role for the applicant but for the primary contact.

My question is: Can I list projects where I act as the sponsor and can I claim the hours of these projects?”

And they replied:

“Thank you for contacting the PMI EMEA Customer Service.

I can confirm that if you have worked in the project and it is a project management experience you may record this on your PMP application

If you do not find the related job title/role you wish to register, you may select OTHER from the list and write down a description.

Your application will be reviewed and if incorrect we will contact you for further changes.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further inquiries.“

:blush:

I think they have totally missed my point, maybe my question was not clear enough.

From JD's input and my own assumptins I am going with "Manager" and will not pursue further clarification for this issue.

Thanks Cornelius and JD.

Rodrigo Brito wrote:

JD

It helped me indeed.

My confusion started with the definition of Sponsor as I am the responsible to define and approve the budget for the project. I also conceive most of the projects and champion it in the initial phases, leading it until formally selected/approved – I actually sign the Project Charter.

But then I get involved in many aspects of the execution, management and control, which normally is not something a Sponsor would do! My thought process then fed the doubt if I could claim hours of Project Management with a role that do not normally get involved in planning, executing, managing & controlling projects when in fact I do get my hands on this...

My second choice was also Manager because I am the IT Manager and ultimately the MD is the man really approving the budget, isn’t it? On a second though I just propose the investment, but he is the one that says yes/no in the end.

I have sent email to PMI, as Cornelius suggested, and it will be interesting to see what they will say, but at this point I totally agree with you.

Thanks for your input.

14 years 5 months ago #698

Rodrigo Brito

JD

It helped me indeed.

My confusion started with the definition of Sponsor as I am the responsible to define and approve the budget for the project. I also conceive most of the projects and champion it in the initial phases, leading it until formally selected/approved – I actually sign the Project Charter.

But then I get involved in many aspects of the execution, management and control, which normally is not something a Sponsor would do! My thought process then fed the doubt if I could claim hours of Project Management with a role that do not normally get involved in planning, executing, managing & controlling projects when in fact I do get my hands on this...

My second choice was also Manager because I am the IT Manager and ultimately the MD is the man really approving the budget, isn’t it? On a second though I just propose the investment, but he is the one that says yes/no in the end.

I have sent email to PMI, as Cornelius suggested, and it will be interesting to see what they will say, but at this point I totally agree with you.

Thanks for your input.
14 years 5 months ago #696

JD Crump, PMP, ITIL-F

Rodrigo:

Here's how I would interpret it ...

It sounds to me like your role was Manager. Depending on how much responsibility was placed on the project mangers versus you will determine how much credit you will be given for each of the project management areas to get to the required number of experience hours.

The reason they have the Sponsor as the point of contact is to have someone they can contact in case of an audit. And, the reason you don't see Sponsor on the list of roles is because it would be highly unlikely that a Sponsor would be personally responsible for the day-to-day project management activities for which you are documenting experience for.

I hope that wasn't too confusing!

JD
14 years 5 months ago #695

Rodrigo Brito

Thanks Cornelius, I will certainly post te reply once they answer my question.

Until the next.
14 years 5 months ago #693

Cornelius Fichtner

Rodrigo,

This is the moment where I have to "give up" and refer you to PMI. I have not yet come across your specific situation before so I am not 100% certain what I should recommend.

I therefore recommend that you contact PMI at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and ask directly.

You can simply copy/paste your question from this forum into your email.

Oh... and would you later on post their reply here so that we all can learn?

Thank you!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login