fbpx

Reply: Clarification Regarding The Sources Of Conflict PMBOK vs Rita's

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Clarification Regarding The Sources Of Conflict PMBOK vs Rita's

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 5 months ago #12136

Steven Mudrinich, PMP

Anon,

When in doubt, the PMBOK Guide is the closest answer to right. Tracy and Kevin are right in that you should use multiple sources of information that are vetted as PMI REPs to confirm the learning you have done from the PMBOK Guide; while you don't need to read it cover to cover (I did - twice), it contains valuable information that is the basis for the exam. Never fully rely on any one source during your studying but again, when in doubt, use the PMBOK Guide.

- Steven
6 years 5 months ago #12129

Tracy Shagnea, PMP

Hi Anil,

I understand your comments about Rita's book. However, I feel it's important to also recognize that people have different approaches to learning and understanding. I used Rita for my studies and, while I didn't necessarily love everything about the book, it was an effective tool for me. I used the elements of the book that worked for me and ignored the rest. I looked thru a number of the study guides available, and from my perspective none of them were perfect for me as a study tool . Some were good enough. Some were totally not my style.

I never read the PMBOK cover-to-cover - not even once, let alone multiple times as many have done. I DID use it as a reference to clarify questions that I had.

This approach was effective for me, and I passed the exam on the first try (thank God).

Best regards,

Tracy
6 years 5 months ago #12120

Anil Gidwani

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but Rita Mulcahy clearly believes that a thousand words are worth something!

Rita has stripped out all visual diagrams (such as data flow diagrams) from the PMBOK guide and added layers of verbiage that make learning quite difficult. One of the most egregious liberties she has taken is to turn Table 3.1 on its side, literally. One could argue that Table 3.1 should be organized as shown in the PMBOK guide, since the progression of time (Process Groups) is generally depicted from left to right. Rita has shown the Process Groups from top to bottom, which is counterintuitive in my opinion.

For these reasons, I wouldn't go with Rita's explanation, I'd stick with the PMBOK guide. Rita's book is really more of a reference, and in case of conflict with the PMBOK guide, it's safer to go with the very visual and compact PMBOK guide than the untidy and verbose Rita Mulcahy book.
6 years 5 months ago #12065

Kevin Nason

I would follow what the Rita book states around sources of conflict, and conflict resolution. Also follow the "Tricks of the Trade" that are given around that section to help you understand the type of question you are to see on the exam. [based on the 8th edition of the Rita book I have in my possession] Although the PMBOK is the point of reference for the exam the Rita book and the PrepCast help make it more real world.

Are you using the prepcast exam simulator for the exam prep?
6 years 5 months ago #12064

Anonymous

's Avatar

Does anyone know which source to follow in terms of the frequently occurring reasons for conflict?
6 years 6 months ago #12061

Anonymous

's Avatar

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, that does not answer my question.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login