fbpx

Reply: Exam Application

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Exam Application

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 7 months ago #11542

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend reviewing the information at the following links:

www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public...ssional-handbook.pdf
www.project-management-prepcast.com/how-...et-pmp-certification

I wish I had known about PM PrepCast before I had nearly completed my self study and SkillSoft course. I spent about 6 weeks going through the SkillSoft modules thinking I would be ready for the actual exam when I was finished. Was I ever wrong! That's when I found the PM Exam Simulator and the true preparation began. I am saying this because I just don't know how anyone can take a week long boot camp and then expect to be ready for the actual exam even if they have been doing some preparation prior to that. I am sure that some people have done it but I would not recommend it. Everyone has their own approach but in reading the many lessons learned on this forum some key ingredients to success include: PM PrepCast, Studying the PMBOK guide multiple times, taking multiple 4 hours exams via PM Exam Simulator.

Mark
6 years 7 months ago #11535

Anonymous

's Avatar

I was last a project manger in 1997, I assume that this experience is too old to count. As director of Project controls I was responsible for the design and implementation of project control systems procedures, relating to schedule, cost and progress measurement on projects. This included managing a staff of 20 people who were hired, trained and assigned to those projects to perform project controls functions reporting to the project manager. The project managers did not report to me. I was a functional department manager supporting a project matrix organization.

My plan was to self study to a point and then to take the 4 day boot camp / exam prep just prior to the exam. It seems like the PrepCast course might be the better option and apply at a point when I have completed the course web casts and start the Simulator exams.
6 years 7 months ago #11533

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Hi Steve,

So, have you been project manager for or directing the other project managers for the individual projects? I would consider the projects individually and create a project description for each. Note that you can start filling out the application online now and I would recommend you do so as it can take a fair amount of time to complete.

Have you been studying for the exam already? I agree that it isn't possible to take the exam at the end of the week long course. Once you have completed your course hours you can then submit your application and wait the obligatory period for approval and then instructions to schedule the actual exam. Even if it were possible to take the exam after a week long course I would strongly advise against it. Preparing for and taking the PMP exam is like training for a marathon. You need a good plan and some significant time to study and prepare yourself for the content as well as the 4 hour slog through the actual exam. Your plan should include plenty of practice exams like the PM Exam Simulator. I know that I could not have passed without it and was the best test prep money I spent hands down.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. You have come to the right forum for help.

Cheers,

Mark
6 years 7 months ago #11531

Steve

Hello, I need some help with the application process regarding experience. I have been working in department management position for the last 15 years. The position is Director of Project Controls. Directing a department that manages the schedule, earned value and cost of 100+ industrial construction projects ranging in value from $500-$500MM and in duration from 6 months to 3 years.

This does not really fit into the experience section. Any recommendation on how I proceed.

Further the requirement is to have 35 hours of classroom training before applying. I intend to take a boot camp before the exam and they tell me that this training meets the requirement, however does this mean that I can't apply for the exam until boot camp is complete. I heard that some courses offer the exam on the final day of thee course. How is this possible if they can not apply for the exam until the course is complete.

Thanks

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login