Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Passed on 1st Try!

Passed on 1st Try! 2 years 1 month ago #11272

• Alyssa Chiasson
  • Alyssa Chiasson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I passed today!

Studying-
I began this process just ovwr a year ago with the PM Prepcast. Had to shift focus to other things for a while, but back in March I decided to start again. Got Rita's book (with Rita's exam simulator included), and PMBOK Guide. Read each of them at least 3-4 times over, and took about 6 legal pads of notes. The BEST thing I did was to purchase the Exam Simulator. It's closest to the exam in terms of format and wording.
I was worried about my inconsistent results from the simulator, though. For instance, on Exam #1 I scored 88% in Initiating. On Exam #2, I scored 50% in Initiating. This happened for each process except Closing- for that, I always scored in the upper 80's. Overall exam scores were 64%-73%.

Exam-
I was nervous because my practice exam scores were all pretty low. The questions were heavily weighted towards Risk (my best subject!), Change Mgmt, and What should you do next/first. 6-7 math questions pertaining to CV, SV, EAC, SPI, and CPI. Other CPI/SPI questions didn't imvolve calculations, and 2 network diagrams I has to draw. I had 8-10 questions about when to use types of charts. There were 2 questions that made no sense whatsoever.
I was disappointed that many of the questions seemed longer and much more difficult than the practice exams. I'd guess that 75% of my questions were 8-10 lines long. Several of the questions were very ambiguous, as were the potential answers to a few questions.
I used all 4 hours of rhe exam- took 3.5hrs to finish, and the remaining 30 min to review the ones I marked. I didn't take any breaks. Hit the "finish exam" button as I was mentally figiring when to schedule attempt #2- The test was hard and I KNEW I failed. Had to read the screen 3 times when it said I passed.
4 MP and, ironically, BP in closing (my best scores in all the practice exams).

Passed on 1st Try! 2 years 1 month ago #11273

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
Congratulations Alyssa for passing the exam.

and Thanks for sharing your observations on your exam, I am sure it will be useful for other PMP Aspirants.
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator

Passed on 1st Try! 2 years 1 month ago #11274

• Tracy Shagnea, PMP
  • Thank you received: 42
Congratulations!

It's hard, but it IS do-able! I also found that sometimes I would do very well in a particular category but then less so on a subsequent test. I attribute this to the wide range of knowledge required in each category...
Forum Moderator
PMP, CSM, M.S. Management

Passed on 1st Try! 2 years 1 month ago #11283

• Steven Mudrinich, PMP
  • Thank you received: 20
Congrats Alyssa!

- Steven

Passed on 1st Try! 2 years 1 month ago #11284

• John Wolverton
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Great job Alyssa!
John F. Wolverton, PMP®
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaSteven Mudrinich, PMPCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinJason YorekLuke HoSimone ChristieAmy MartinezDaniel DewartEmily Rivera

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login
Boost Your PMP Exam Prep in Only Eight Hours! Join the Live PMP Coaching Class on August 24/25 for just $179. Click to learn more... OR Click to watch a free session...