fbpx

Reply: Is it mandatory for our role to be PM to qualify for the PMP?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Is it mandatory for our role to be PM to qualify for the PMP?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 8 months ago #11289

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

GBV,

You should check the PMI handbook here to make sure you qualify for the PMP certification. www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public...ssional-handbook.pdf

You are required to have led a project across all 5 process groups. You can still have some experience documented as project contributor but you must have had some lead role in project management. Project deliverables would be the unique product, service or result that you delivered or created as part of the project. The stakeholder register isn't a deliverable but a document that is created as part of the project management. Your example of IT Storage System could be a final deliverable.

Be sure to read the handbook carefully as it will provide you all the details.

Cheers,

Mark
6 years 8 months ago #11288

Anonymous

's Avatar

@Steven Mudrinich, If I have done tasks such as identifying stakeholders (IN), defining project scope, collecting requirements(PL), Managing communications (EX), updating lessons learned documents, evaluating stakeholder satisfaction (CL) etc., then by virtue of these activities does that make me eligible?

Further, if yes, then, should i mandatorily select the role as Project Manager or will I still satisfy the requirement as a Project Contributor?
6 years 8 months ago #11276

Steven Mudrinich, PMP

GBV,

While individual job titles are largely irrelevant to the application process, you do need to be fulfilling a project manager role in order to qualify for the exam. I would recommend that you carefully examine your experiences as a senior developer to see if your work in that role counts.

- Steven
6 years 8 months ago #11265

GBV

's Avatar

Hi

To elaborate, my designation as per my organization is Sr. Developer but I have done tasks that fall into the 5 process groups for ex: identifying stakeholders (IN), coordinating resources (EX) etc., therefore, as I complete the application form should I select my role be Project Contributor? By assigning this role would I still be considered eligible for taking the PMP exam or even passing the application if there is an audit? Should my project description also contain my role? Are the project deliverables considered to be items like stakeholder register, lessons learned documents etc or are deliverables the final output of the project for ex: IT storage system?

In addition, if the project contains multiple phases should we separate and add that phase as a new entry to the application or can we just apply the whole project as a single entry in the application? for ex: see Cleaning Up a Hazardous Waste Site Pg 42 in the PMBOK, should that be a single entry in the application form or as 3 entries?

I think there is a difference between project and product deliverables and I was hoping if someone could clarify my doubts.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login