fbpx

Reply: Project Charter creation and approval

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Project Charter creation and approval

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 8 months ago #11196

Aung Sint

Below is my take:

Who identifies a potential project: the organization's management
Who initiates/approves the creation of a project charter: project sponsor
Who physically creates the charter: project sponsor (PM could help writing it, if he or she is on board at the time)
Who approves the charter so the PM can take project owenership: project sponsor
6 years 8 months ago #11167

Nicholas Ablett

Hello,

I am busy studying for the PMP and working through the Prepcast lessons , pre-assessment and PMBOK. I have a question regarding the Project Charter. PMBOK glossary says it is ISSUED by sponsor or project initiator (this implies APPROVED by and handed over), this corresponds to question 13 of the pre-assessment saying someone external should sign. In pre-assessment question 87 it asks who CREATES the charter (this implies who actually WROTE the physical document) and the answer is again the sponsor. However, in lesson L70.01, task 5 at about 18:10 it says "you and the others you worked with in CREATING the project charter".

Please can someone clarify this? (My answers in brackets)
Who identifies a potential project:: (Anyone in the organisation/customer)
Who initiates/approves the creation of a project charter: (Sponsor/initiator)
Who physically creates the charter: (Relevant stakeholders including PM and Sponsor/Initiator)
Who approves the charter so the PM can take project owenership: (Project initiator external to team or Sponsor)

What would be the most correct answer the PMI is looking for?
Regards

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login