fbpx

Reply: I passed my PMP exam and here is what I did!!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : I passed my PMP exam and here is what I did!!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 8 months ago #11089

Monique Maxmillion

's Avatar

Thank you, for sharing your study plans. Do you think memorizing the processes helped you out the most?
6 years 8 months ago #11076

John Wolverton

Kristine Congratulations!
I see your hard work paid off, and thanks for sharing your Lessons Learned . Did you also post them on the Lessons Learned blog?
Also, I agree with your best advice, know the process so the situational questions become somewhat clearer.
Jfw
6 years 8 months ago #11070

Kristine Mier

Thank you so much, PM Prep Cast, for helping me to study for my exam! I received 3 Ps and 2 MPs.
This journey started a year ago as I was looking for a way to use my professional development time and funds. I had no idea preparing for the PMP would be so challenging!
Here is what I did (mostly thanks to Cornelius' tips):
-Read through the PMBOK once.
-Listened/watched all the PM Prep Cast podcasts.
-Read Rita's PMP Prep book thoroughly taking all chapter end tests
-At this point, I scheduled my exam for 3 months out, which really helped create urgency
-Created a study plan that I posted where I would see it daily
-Joined several LinkedIn study groups and read discussions, answered questions, and posted questions regularly (I live in rural where no has a clue what PMP means, otherwise, I would have joined a chapter or an in-person study group)
-Took 2 simulation exams
-Created flash cards and a spreadsheet of all ITTOs
In the last month leading up to my exam, I listened again to PM Prepcast podcast on processes I was not comfortable and skimmed the knowledge areas in Rita's book and the PMBOK. I also took all but one of the simulation exams offered through PM Prepcast Exam Simulator, as well as several other 50-100 question exam simulators from other recommended free sources to get an experience with different formats and questions. I read a lot of articles and had many discussions with my PMP friends. I also started practicing 'brain dumps' writing out all of the processes and formulas. I was still able to carry on my volunteer activities and most of my social life, but basically stopped working out the last 2 weeks and kept social engagements super limited - I'm sure my friends and boyfriend got tired of me saying no to activities all the time. I started to wonder if I was over preparing and wasting time, but was somewhat comforted that I was learning SO much.
I can assure you, that during the 4 arduous hours during the exam, the thought never crossed my mind that I over prepared - it was quite the opposite - I felt I hadn't prepared enough. I love multiple choice exams! But this exam is a beast and definitely the hardest test I've ever taken. I did end up using time in the beginning of the exam to do a brain dump - not because I needed to since I had it all memorized - but because I couldn't hear myself think over the sound of my heart beat from the anxiety and stress I was experiencing at the beginning - it really helped me calm down and center myself , along with some deep breathing. I love math and was so ready for a lot of EVM questions, but only had a total of 7 math-based questions. I ended up marking 70% of my questions as I was not sure. They were almost all situational with most of them asking what was next or what should have been done where at least 2 out of 4 answers were right and some seemed to lack enough info to make a good decision - I was so perplexed! My best advice: really understand the processes, make a study plan, be strategic, over prepare and prepare some more.
Thank you, PM Prepcast, for helping me become a PMP!!
Kristine Mier

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login