fbpx

Reply: Setting an exam date

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Setting an exam date

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 9 months ago #10835

Tracy Shagnea, PMP

Hi Scott,

You don't necessarily have to schedule your exam months in advance. In fact, I scheduled mine two weeks in advance when I took it in April of this year. I could even have scheduled it sooner, but I wanted to continue to study those last few days. At the time I scheduled, there were many dates still available, although the weekend dates had already been snapped up. At least here in the Washington DC area, there were always slots available in the near term, although obviously your mileage may vary depending on where you live and just plain-old-luck. You can get somewhat of an idea by looking at the available dates on the Prometric website (use "Locate a Test Center"). Bear in mind that you can reschedule without penalty as long as you aren't within 30 days of the test date.

With regard to the application, you do need to have the required 35 hours of instruction. Upon approval of your application, PMI will provide you with a PMI Eligibility ID which you'll need in order to schedule your exam. They won't give you the ID with which to schedule the exam until your application is approved (if you're audited, you won't get the ID until you clear the audit).

If you want to minimize the time delay if an audit should occur, I'd suggest that you make sure that your references are aware of the their role and are willing to verify your experience. This is particularly important if you've not been in touch with them in some time. You may find that one or more of them is unreachable and you'll need to find an alternative; better to learn this early on, rather than when faced with an audit.

Other than that, plan your time as best you can, but, like a good project manager, be prepared to pivot and deal with any surprises that crop up!

Best regards,

Tracy
6 years 9 months ago #10834

Kevin Nason

Scott - I received application approval and the go ahead to schedule my exam, about 10 business days after I submitted everything.

Kevin
6 years 9 months ago #10831

Scott Smith

Thank you!
About how long did it take once you filled in the education requirement that you were able to set an exam date?
6 years 9 months ago #10830

Kevin Nason

Scott - You need to fulfill the education requirements, along with filling out and having your application approved, before you can set an exam date. So the answer to your end question is no you cannot set an exam date prior to fulfilling the education requirements and application approval. I do think it is a good idea to set a bench mark date to focus on to take the exam. I did this when I was preparing for the exam. That kept me on track to actually get it done.

Good Luck
Kevin
6 years 9 months ago #10829

Scott Smith

I am just getting started and need to know the proper order for setting up my exam date. I see that I must set a date early in my process so that I don't have to wait months after I finish my studies. However, if I read the on-line application process correctly, I must first fill in the prior project experience and the certificate for training. I don't have the certificate yet since I am just starting. In reading the available info, it is possible I will get an audit which will add weeks to the process.
So, must I wait until I can completely fill in the training on the on-line application before I can set an exam date? And if so, doesn't that mean I can't really set the exam date in advance?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login