Welcome, Guest
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Percentage of PM efforts in a project

Percentage of PM efforts in a project 7 years 1 month ago #581

• Fresh Boarder
Hi Fellow PMP-Aspirants and Gurus,

Is there any rule of thumb which can broadly indicate how much of the total value of a project could generally be attributed to Project Management efforts?

Of course there are wide variety of projects getting executed, conceptulized and planned across different industries. Hence such a question would be too open. But if the answer has to be in the context of Software / IT projects, then, can such indicator be worth seeking?

Thanks and regards,

Surendra Vaidya

Re:Percentage of PM efforts in a project 7 years 1 month ago #584

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • PrepCast Instructor
  • Thank you received: 153

Let me begin by saying: Interesting questions, but it's unimportant for the PMP exam. You don't have to know this to pass.

However, if you are truly looking for an answer then I must tell you that I don't know. However, there is one source where you might find this: The PMI published the Value of Project Management Study last year. So please stop by at www.pmi.org and see if you want to purchase that study. I don't think that anyone else has made any real empirical studies that might give you the answer.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Ahmed Amin, Michael DeCicco, Rahul Kakkar, Fernando Jr Sinlao Lim, Jeremy Raelin, Mary Kathrine Padua, Yasir Mehmood, Chris Preziotti, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP, Mark Wuenscher, PMP