fbpx

Reply: Q: about Beta & Triangular

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Q: about Beta & Triangular

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 4 months ago #12476

Nicole McIntyre

's Avatar

I am also confused about how to know when to use which version. In taking the post-test quiz for Lesson 6, Question 8 gives both the triangular and Beta answers as options. I went with triangular because it didn't indicate to me that a weighted average was required. Am I supposed to assume, as someone said before, that because there is a "policy" and previous observations regarding the time required, that a beta distribution is more appropriate? Would a triangular distribution only be appropriate if the question basically said, "we've never done this before and are taking a wild stab in the dark?"
6 years 4 months ago #12364

Anonymous

's Avatar

Did you get the answer for that? That's what I got twice on the exam.
I used the regular one and who knows if I got it right.
6 years 4 months ago #12363

Anonymous

's Avatar

Well, I got both results as answers in both questions that I had.
During my preparation it was only one correct answer from either one of the two. while on the actual exam, both results appeared so who knows if I got it right...
6 years 6 months ago #11751

Anonymous

's Avatar

Hi Steven,

If the question does not give any hint or if nothing other than the values of P,M,O are specified, then by default, do we use PERT or do we use Triangular?
6 years 11 months ago #10355

Steven Mudrinich, PMP

I know this may seem vague, but on the exam it will be readily apparent as to which formula to use. You should be fine!
-Steven
6 years 11 months ago #10314

Christian Winter

In case the estimates were made with no real experience and are more best guesses use the triangular. But when there is already experience from similar previous projects or experts are doing the estimates you should use the beta distribution . Is there such information in the question about the "quality" of the estimates?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login