fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Change Request Process Confusion

Change Request Process Confusion 7 years 3 months ago #9207

• Bonnie
  • Bonnie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I just found this Change Management question here - www.cornelius-fichtner.com/index.php/art...m-sample-question-13

I've read the explanation, but I've also read hours worth of information on the proper way to answer a Change Request/Management question. Following steps to Analyze the situation before submitting a Change Request for approval seems to be a standard for everyone. The posed question shows an answer that goes against that.

Cornelius, I know you have already considered all of this, can you please elaborate on Why we are not following a process to first Analyze, before submitting a CR?

Question Text -
Your customer calls you on the phone and informs you of a minor change to a requirement on the project. What is the first thing that should be done?

A. Analyze the request and its consequences to the project
B. Instruct your engineer to implement this minor change
C. Ask the customer to provide a formal change request
D. Note it in the weekly status report

HINT: Changes to requirements must be made formally.

All our questions are updated to the latest PMBOK® Guide standard. Stop by at free.pm-exam-simulator.com and try the PMP Exam Simulator free for 3 days. We also offer 110 free questions at www.free-pm-exam-questions.com . We are a PMI Registered Education Provider.

Answer and Explanation:
The correct answer is C.

Change Request Process Confusion 7 years 3 months ago #9251

• A2BO
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,
My opinion is as follow:
By "customer" , the question could have meant "external customer". In such a case, there should be available contract stating how changes should be handled. Contract requires formality. Thus ask him to provide formal request, i.e. answer C
Although the question does not state "external customer", for internal customer as well it's best to track in general customer requests in a formal way. i.e. answer C
Last hint ( from life experience): imagine a large project with 200 millions $ budget and a customer requests you a change he considered as minor. Will you start analyzing the change first ? i.e. start investing effort in analysis ?
Hope that helps.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login