fbpx

Reply: Project charter

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Project charter

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 4 months ago #15659

Anonymous

's Avatar

If the project manager replaces, means new project manager take over the project will project charter need to change. As project charter is the document which authorize the project manager.
7 years 3 months ago #9203

Henry ILO

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. You all rock. I think its circumstantial then based on context.
7 years 3 months ago #9202

Stan Po - Admin

Dear all,

May I provide my view on this subject. As Kelly correctly mentioned, project charter indeed can change, although very rarely. However, it does not require a change request. Why? Because project charter is not a “controlled” document. Please refer to the Table 4-1: “Differentiation Between the Project Management Plan and Project documents”, A Guide to the Project Management Body Of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) - Fifth Edition, page 78. The PMBOK® Guide , though, does not provide clear explanation of what should be done in such situation. Usually, if there is a need to modify project charter (again, assuming there is a very good reason for doing this), an addendum is used, as Henry ILO said in his original post.

Of course, the correct answer will heavily depend on the question and the context in which the question is asked. Therefore, we always recommend to make reasonable assumptions based on all AVAILABLE information in the question and select the BEST answer among the choices given. It will not always be the ideal answer, but it should be the BEST among the others.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Stan
7 years 3 months ago #9197

Kelly Coughlin

I have to disagree. My understanding is that project charter CAN change (although very rarely) if the Scope changes; this would have to go through change control / Change control board and not necessarily create a new project.
7 years 3 months ago #9185

Henry ILO

Thank you Toe, I really appreciate your revert. If it were to be asked i think answer sould tend more towards "No" .
7 years 3 months ago #9181

Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL

Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL's Avatar

Dear Henry,

In Principe, no. The project charter should change during the project or very rarely. If the scope is going to change it is better to initiate a new project.
Remember this is document authorising the project by a sponsor committing his funds for a specific outcome. It is also a high level document that gives room for changes within the high level scope.
But, again the answer will depend on the question and the context.

Best regards and good luck.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login