fbpx

Reply: Project Management or Program Management?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Project Management or Program Management?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 7 months ago #8226

Maria EUgenia Labajos

Thank you for your answer, Michael.
Now the difference is crystal clear!

Best regards,
Mª. Eugenia Labajos
7 years 7 months ago #8225

Michael DeCicco

Maria, PMBOK defines Program management as application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to a program to meet program requirements p 533.
In the question, the vendor has a contract (think one project) to extend the network infrastructure of only 1 company. That contract will end and it will have deliverable (extended network infrastructure). Now if the vendor has contracts for the same type of project with other Telecom Equipment companies, then the vendor would open up a program management office, but that is not the case. we're talking about only 1 contract, 1 project. It's a big project, I grant you that. The Civil Work and Equipment Installation would be work packages in a work breakdown structure.
7 years 7 months ago #8219

Maria EUgenia Labajos

Hello everyone!
I´ve just done the Self Assessment 12 of PM PrepCast and I have a question in question 10:

Question 10: A leading telecom network operator has signed a procurement contract with an international telecom equipment vendor company to extend their network infrastructure nationally by 50%. Network planning, civil works and equipment installation are all included as a part of the procurement contract. From the equipment vendor’s point of view, which of the following needs to be applied efficiently to effectively manage this procurement contract?
A.) Procurement Management
B.) Project Management
C.) Program Management
D.) Portfolio Management

B is the correct answer and, although I undesrtand It´s from the vendor´s point of view, I would´ve said C because it´s not just a single Project but a group of related ones, such as Civil Work and Equipment Installation. I guess I´m misunderstanding something here. Can you please give me some help?

Thanks in advance and best regards!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login