fbpx

Reply: Resource Calendar

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Resource Calendar

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 5 months ago #6299

Jonathan Emmons

Reading back through the various definitions, I'm not completely sold on Michael's argument, but at the same time there's really nothing else it can be. There are only two processes in the initiating group, and a grand total of two outputs between them: the project charter and the stakeholder register. Both have their own arrows on the diagram, so that doesn't help us. But the project charter does include the summary milestones for the project, so that could be interpreted (I guess?) as a starting point for the resource calendars as it would set the timeframe we're looking at.

Beyond that, I don't know how much that (or any) answer holds up; I suppose you could make the argument that yes, you may have defined some assumptions regarding availability of certain resources, but considering how the PMBOK guide lays out the ITTOs throughout the book I think this is a stretch, as you would expect that to be called out more explicitly.

Short version: I'm not a fan of this particular diagram, in all honesty. I think it's useful to look at early on in the process to give you an idea of how things are inter-related, but once I got into the weeds I found this to be more confusing than helpful. For the sake of understanding how things work in the real world, Michael's response is probably correct, as in practice you are going to have some of these answers up front "earlier" than the process says you will. But for the PMP exam, I found the questions to be much more straightforward and in line with how the book explicitly defines the ITTOs.
8 years 5 months ago #6297

Michael DeCicco

p.558 PMBOK v5 defines Resource Calendar as a calendar that identifies the working days and shifts on which each specific resource is available. We're talking people, your project team, equipment and materiel that you can fairly easily predict availability so early on in the project.

The project charter is an output of the initiating process group and the charter will include key resources. As a project manager, you will start tracking the availability of these key resources in a calendar and refine it as an output of Acquire Project Team in human resource management.
8 years 5 months ago #6296

Tracey South

Faisal:

I looked at the diagram as well and see where the confusion may lie. The way I interpreted this part of the diagram was the Resource Calendars flow from the Process Planning Group into the Executing Process Group. To be honest, I am not sure how this is tied to the Initiating Process Group. I invite other forum members to comment on this topic.

Tracey
8 years 5 months ago #6282

Faisal Kader

Hi All

I am a bit confused with Figure 3-3, Page 53 of PMBOK guide. It seems to suggest "Resource Calendar" is an output of "Initiating Process Group" and is an input/output to "Planning Process Group" and "Executing Process Group". However, looking at the processes in "Initiating Process Group" I don't see "Resource Calendar" being mentioned at all. Am I missing something?

Thanks

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login