fbpx

Reply: Does this qualify as a Project

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Does this qualify as a Project

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 6 months ago #6164

Ahmed Amin

Hello Febin,

Cornelius have said it all. I have just one update, you can be a team member of the project, and it is not necessary to be the project manager.

make sure to read the PMP Handbook here .
8 years 6 months ago #6159

Cornelius Fichtner

Hello Febin,

In this case you have to do what is ethical. You can only put them on your PMP exam application it they had been started and executed as TRUE projects in your company with you as the project manager. You cannot "rewrite" the description in order to "make" them a project.

So ask yourself first of all: do both fit the official project description? Are they "A temporary endeavor to create a unique product, service or result"? Or where they really just part of your normal, day-to-day operations and you are now trying to "make them" into a project so you can put them onto your application?

I would recommend that you discuss this with your supervisor and colleagues to determine if they really were projects or not. Only you and the people involved can make the final decision.

Please note: I recently had a student who failed his PMP audit because of exactly this situation. PMI found two projects on his application that they considered to be "normal operations" and so he failed the audit. So it's better to leave it off if you are in doubt.
8 years 6 months ago #6152

Febin Raju

I am asking this because I am unsure whether I can put this on My PMP exam application form

Thanks
Febin
8 years 6 months ago #6151

Cornelius Fichtner

Febin,

My answer depends on WHY you are asking this question.

Therefore... Are you asking this because you are unsure about whether you can put this on your PMP exam application form or is there another reason why you are asking?
8 years 6 months ago #6149

Febin Raju

Please help me to understand whether the following two statements qualify as a project or counted as a process.

1) Product launch of proprietary CRM software, for Pharmaceutical Industry to attain 10,000 new customers; since launch.
2) Customer Retention Project, to attain a customer retention index of 70%

please suggest me if there is a need to change the statement, to be considered as a project.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login