fbpx

Reply: Help with Executing vs Monitor & Control

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Help with Executing vs Monitor & Control

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 7 months ago #6022

Michael DeCicco

Christi- you've asked a question that is fair and is the type we look for here on our community forum to hopefully answer with enough certainty that you can feel confident.

Let's evaluate where you are.

You've assessed your risk, calculated it's severity to be high enough to seek expert guidance so that you can proactively manage it.

Here's my method for reducing the risk, but in all fairness, you might have some residual risk with a short time remaining before the exam.

Look at the chart in the PMBOK with the 13 knowledge areas and their tasks distributed across the process groups. Then focus only on the Executing and M&C columns.
Spend one day writing only the Executing steps with their definitions straight out of the PMBOK. Then write underneath all the activities you've learned that fit into those. Do the same for Monitor and Control.

Next challenge yourself by taking an exam (maybe you've purchased the PM prepcast exam simulator). Evaluate your score.

Did you improve? If so, great and continue improving until your exam.

If not, perform the exercise I presented above again. Follow this up by taking the ITTO exam in the prepcast package.

The exam challenges all of us, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Let us know how you do.
8 years 7 months ago #6017

Christi McGinley

I'm 10 days away from taking my exam and am honing my studies to those areas where I miss the most on test exams. I'm finding that I get confused between the Executing Process Group and Monitor & Control Process Group.

Are there any tips or techniques that any of you have used to help make those concepts stick better?

E.g. - Assess team member performance is an Executing Process Group item. Why wouldn't that be M&C? It's a performance activity. There are many other performance activities in M&C.

Any ideas how I can get these two process groups more defined?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login