fbpx

Reply: Project or Operations?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Project or Operations?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 10 months ago #5672

Wai Wah Ong

Thanks all for the input. After reading the comments, I guess during the initial stage of the contract it would be a project. Since it fulfill both the "temporary" and "unique results" definition. Subsequent contract renewal (if no further changes), even if it is on a yearly basis, should be considered an operation.
8 years 10 months ago #5670

Ahmed Amin

I Agree with Michael, if you are not producing a unique result then I would consider this an operation contract rather than a project.
8 years 10 months ago #5665

Michael DeCicco

When in doubt, stick with the published definition of the word Project, according to PMBOK 5. P.553 states a project is a "temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service, or result."

Your contract has a start and end date, so that meets the temporary endeavor aspect in the above definition. Now ask yourself, in the temporary time are you creating something unique. You say you are operating something. Then in my opinion, it sounds like an operation, not a project.

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum
8 years 10 months ago #5663

Cornelius Fichtner

From my perspective, this might be considered to be a "hybrid" model:

From your customer's perspective it sounds like this is operations - after all you say yourself 'you are given something to operate'.

However, from your perspective, this may be set up as a project in which you set up a new and dedicated team to fulfill the contract.
8 years 10 months ago #5659

Wai Wah Ong

Given the scenario that you are given an annual contract to operate something, is this a Project or an Operation? The contract has a start and end date, and it is possible to get a renewal.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login