fbpx

Reply: Progressive Elaboration and Rolling Wave Planning

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Progressive Elaboration and Rolling Wave Planning

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
1 year 1 month ago #30217

Anonymous

's Avatar

Dear project-management-prepcast.com admin, You always provide great examples and case studies.
3 years 2 days ago #26891

Anonymous

's Avatar

there is actually no difference between progressive elaboration and rolling wave planning because they both allows management team to managethe project toa greater level of detail as it evolves
6 years 6 months ago #12042

Saviz

's Avatar

When we want to plan a projects with Progressive Elaboration, we can estimate the resources for 1 month later. So when the project is going on, the resources are added to the next month and so work is changed. My question is how to measure the progress of this project?
I think I should take baseline in each iteration(that the resource is added) and so the percentage of progress might be changed too by the affect of adding resource? Am I right?
8 years 1 month ago #6968

Sanjay Kumar

's Avatar

Well explained by Cornelius.

To add it.. Its nicely explained here as well ->[url=http://http://www.deepfriedbrainproject.com/2009/07/progressive-elaboration-vs-rolling-wave.html]http://www.deepfriedbrainproject.com/2009/07/progressive-elaboration-vs-rolling-wave.html[/url]

Planning is an iterative process. Often times, it's difficult to do detailed planning of a project in the beginning. As the project evolves, and more specific and accurate details are available, the planning gets more detailed. With each successive iteration of the planning process, the project plan becomes more elaborate and complete. This approach to planning is known as Progressive Elaboration. The PMBOK Guide Fourth Edition mentions two forms of Progressive Elaboration:
Rolling Wave Planning: It is one of the techniques in the 'Define Activities' process under Project Time Management. In this technique, detailed planning is done for activities in near term and high-level planning for activities to be performed far away in the future. As the project progresses, and requirements become more clear, more detailed planning is done for the work packages at lower levels of the WBS.

What better way to understand a concept than looking at an example. Let's say you want to visit India on vacation and your objective is to have fun and explore the country. However, you've never been there before. You do however know some places of interest like The Taj Mahal. Initially, you decide that you'll leave on Dec 20 and return on Jan 04. You book your flight tickets and hotel room in New Delhi (one of the cities with an International Airports). Once you reach New Delhi, you talk to the locals and figure out all the places of interest. Then you plan your days, like when you want to visit each place, how you are going to get there, where you'll stay, what you'll do there, etc. Your plans become more detailed as days progress. This is an example of Rolling Wave Planning.

Prototypes: Prototypes are a technique in the 'Collect Requirements' process under Project Scope Management. Prototyping is a method of obtaining early feedback on requirements by providing a "tangible" working model or a mock-up of the expected product before actually building it. It gives stakeholders an opportunity to test and experiment with a model of their final product and give them a way to 'visualize' their end product. Prototypes help to identify problems early in the project and reduce project risks.

Let's take an example again. Your company wants to build a commercially viable model of a Hydrogen-powered car. Initially, your researchers build several working models (prototypes) of the car, maybe of a smaller size, to conduct experiments and check the feasibility of the project. Based upon the results of the feasibility studies, your company decides whether to move forward with or kill the project.

In summary, Rolling Wave Planning and Prototyping are forms of Progressive Elaboration
14 years 7 months ago #440

Cornelius Fichtner

All,

Let me first of all say that there is no guarantee that I or the PrepCast support staff answers your posts in the DISCUSSION forums. We usually answer all posts in the SUPPORT forums within one business day, but the general discussion forums are open to all students to ask and answer questions. But I try to get to all questions eventually. You can help by answering other people's questions just like Debangshu did.

Now regarding your questions:

Deganshu answered the question about the matrix organization very creatively. I like his way of showing how the types change from functional to projectized. I don't have anything to add.

Progressive Elaboration and Rolling Wave Planning are very closely related. In fact, rolling wave planning is a technique of progressive elaboration.

Both are a characteristic of projects, meaning that projects are usually developed in steps, and continues by increments. In the experience of most PMs it is quite normal that items might be described in broad terms at the start of the project but be defined in detailed terms by the conclusion of the project – starting from the first project scope statement to the verified project scope statement supported by a detailed WBS.

So you might start out with the broad goal of improving morale in your service department and as time goes by you elaborate. You go more and more into detail in regards to how you are going to achieve and measure this goal.

Another term for this would be “iterative”. But Progressive Elaboration and Rolling Wave Planning are the terms for you to remember.

Rolling Wave Planning specifically focuses on the fact that the work which is farther out in the future will be defined in detail later on. right now, we plan the design phase and we do so in detail. But because it's still 1 year until we have to install the result of our project, we don't go into detail here. We just define a few high-level activities. And like a rolling wave, as the project progresses, we will plan more and more in detail.
14 years 7 months ago #428

Debangshu Ghose

Hi Arslan,

Please listen to Cornelius's prep-cast and I'm sure you will have a good understanding of the queries you have requested above.

As for organisations, it goes like this;

Functional -> Weak Matrix -> Balanced Matrix (matrix) -> Strong Matrix -> Projectised

PM power is absolute when he works in a projectised organisation and diminishes as he moves down the ladder to a functional organisation.

Progressive elaboration -> a term that means every plan keeps changing and we get better clarity as we build on the various plans. Hence each and every plan is progrssively elaborated.

"A common technique used to estimate high-risk projects is the “rolling wave” or
“moving window” approach." - Harold Kerzner, Pg 601.

Hope this clarifies.

Await Cornelius's expert comments if i have missed on something.

Cheers
Debu

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login