fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Question on the type of Organization

Question on the type of Organization 14 years 10 months ago #39

• Harwinder Bhatia
  • Harwinder Bhatia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Cornelius,

Here's a question posted on the Head First forum by a PMP aspirant. I request you to clarify the point mentioned here:

===========================================================================
I have a question regarding kinds of organizations. I read in Headfirst PMP, that if a question on the exam does not mention which type of organization it is talking about then we need to assume that it is a matrix or a projectized organization.(Pg 26 HeadFirst PMP).On the same page,they again say that assume it is a MAtrix organization always.While Cornelius Fichtner says that we need to assume the organization as a Functional organization always,Rita Mulcahy says to assume that it is a matrix organization if the question does not mention the type of organization. I am Confused...!! Help!!

Please Let me know what should we assume as the type of organization if the question on the PMP exam does not mention the type !
===========================================================================

Here's the original post:

forums.oreilly.com/content/Head-First-PM...nd-Of-Organization-/

Regards,
Harwinder
deepfriedbrain.blogspot.com/

Re:Question on the type of Organization 14 years 9 months ago #88

• James Rogers
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for bringing this up Harwinder, as I too noticed this difference between Head First PMP and the audio prep cast. Those were version 3 materials I was working on, have now moved onto v4 - but I suspect this same issue occur on PMBOK v4 exam.

Your thoughts Cornelius?

Thanks -- Jim R.

Re:Question on the type of Organization 14 years 9 months ago #93

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 604
This is not such a big issue as it may seem by the question of the original poster. Unfortunately, I don't have a definite answer either. But I have an opinion.

First of all, let's put this into context: This issue only arises, if you have a question on the PMP Exam that asks: "What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of a Projectized Organization?" The question here is "As compared to which of the others... the matrix or the functional organization? We do not which one the PMI chooses to compare it to on the PMP exam. My opinion is that we want to compare it to the functional organization because, 1) this is the most traditional organization and 2) it is at the "other end" of the spectrum of organizational structures.

If the question is "What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of a Matrix Organization?" then I would also compare it to the functional organization because the matrix organization is a way of "overcoming" its negative aspects.

If the question is "What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of a Functional Organization?" then your guess is as good as mine. In this particular case, you let yourself be guided by the available answers.

As soon as the question is phrased like "What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of a Functional Organization versus the Matrix Organization?" (or any combination) then this problem does not arise. You immediately know what to compare it to.

So to conclude: In my opinion, this is one of these issues that gets blown out of proportion. It is better to shrug your shoulders, accept the small probability that you will have to face this possible ambiguity on the exam and focus your studies on understanding project management concepts.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Re:Question on the type of Organization 14 years 8 months ago #253

• James Rogers
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reality check Cornelius. I admit to missing the forest for the trees on this one.:silly: Appreciate the well reasoned response and thoughts.

Thanks -- Jim R.

Re:Question on the type of Organization 14 years 8 months ago #276

• Debangshu Ghose
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Dear All,

Do allow me to add my understanding of this concept by providing the following explanation - Of course Cornelius will ratify any mistakes I may make :-)

Possibilities of a question based on organizational structures are basically related to the powers of a project manager if related to the Project Framework domain and his roles and responsibilities.

I remember this by the following;

Functional
> Matrix (Balanced)
> Projectized

Weak Matrix
> Balanced Matrix
> Strong Matrix

The project Manager has the maximum power and it completely diminishes going from right to left till it reaches functional.

Functional organization -> Project coordinator or Project Expediter

Matrix -> Weak ----> Functional manager has power

Matrix -> Balanced ---- Power shared by Functional and Project Manager

Matrix -> Strong ---- Project manager has more power

Projectized - Project manager --- > ultimate power (all decision making capabilities on the project, no shared power)

Cheers
Debangshu (Aspiring PMP)
Aspiring PMP, ITIL(F), CEH, ECSA, MCSA (M+S)
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login