fbpx

Reply: Difference between duration and effort

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Difference between duration and effort

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 3 months ago #4893

Pratima

's Avatar

Thank you, Michael.
9 years 3 months ago #4892

Michael DeCicco

Pratima, Skill Sets can be ambiguous when you are trying to apply a strict set of numbers to project duration. How does one define which skill set level will translate into a number hours or days. I think the PMBOK's guidance is correct to associate measuring effort by labor units. Then you as the Project Management can evaluate your project team's skill sets and establish in your plan, based on that evaluation, how long each effort will take. I'd like to add in here, to show inter-relationship between process groups, is where your Human Resource team building through Tuckman's ladder really comes into play. You have to know your team's strenghts and weaknesses to continually assess feasibility in making deadlines. If one member or group is weak in an area, you will have to train them to meet the level of effort required to complete the steps of the project that they are responsible for.
9 years 3 months ago #4891

Pratima Vempaty

A clarification question on the difference between duration and effort. While effort has been defined in the PMBOK 5th edition as labor units required to complete a task it does not take the resource's skill set and experience into consideration. I find it confusing that this is taken into consideration in duration. Can someone please help me understand why this is so?

Thanks,
Pratima

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login