fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: "scheduling tool" - EEV or OPA?

"scheduling tool" - EEV or OPA? 9 years 8 months ago #4368

• Markus Kopko, PMP
  • Markus Kopko, PMP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • experience is the key
  • Thank you received: 8
Why is the "scheduling tool" considered to be an EEV and not an OPA?

First, here is the part out of the PMBoK which i am talking about Pg. 173):

=================================================
"
6.1.1 Plan Schedule Management: Inputs
6.1.1.1 Project Management Plan
6.1.1.2 Project charter
6.1.1.3 Enterprise Environmental Factors
Described in Section 2.1.5. The enterprise environmental factors that influence the Plan Schedule Management process include, but are not limited to:
• Project management software provides the scheduling tool and alternative possibilities for managing the schedule;

6.1.1.4 organizational Process Assets
Described in Section 2.1.4. The organizational process assets that influence the Plan Schedule Management process include, but are not limited to:
• Monitoring and reporting tools to be used;
• Schedule control tools;

=======================================================

My question here is the following:
We are talking here about tools in EEV and also in OPA.
So why is PM software which provides the scheduling tool considered to be an EEV whereas a reporting toll or also a schedule control tool are considered to be an OPA?
Where is the difference?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elena Mekhanoshina

"scheduling tool" - EEV or OPA? 9 years 8 months ago #4369

• Joy Iyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The key difference here seems to be that an EEF enhances or constrains the project while an OPA is a repository of procedures and knowledge bases.

The PM software may be mandated by the organization and may become a constraint if it lacks specific capabilities. It will probably be beyond the PM to influence a change or replace the PM software being used by the organization, although he/she may seek approval for a deviation based on justification for purchase and use of an alternative on his/her specific project.

A reporting tool would provide a guideline on how to report progress on a project. The PMBOK states that the OPA may be updated by project team members as necessary. As such, a reporting tool may be modified to suit requirements of a specific project. It need not be a proprietary software and could be something as simple as a template based spreadsheet.

This is a good question and I would like feedback from other members of the forum to support or question the above rationale.
Joy Iyer, PMP, FS Eng (TÜV Rheinland, SIS, PH&RA) & Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nizar Al-Odaini, Elena Mekhanoshina
Last edit: by Joy Iyer.

"scheduling tool" - EEV or OPA? 9 years 8 months ago #4371

• Brett Palmer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I agree with Joy's perspective.

"scheduling tool" - EEV or OPA? 9 years 8 months ago #4374

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
I agree as well.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login