fbpx

Reply: Work Performance Information

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Work Performance Information

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 10 months ago #4193

Cornelius Fichtner

When preparing our students for the PMP Exam we follow the PMBOK Guide, because for the PMP Exam the PMBOK Guide is always right. We cannot go by "chatter" and "I believe". Therefore...
  • The PMBOK Guide defines "Status of deliverables" as Work Performance Information in section 3.8
  • The PMBOK Guide defines the other 3 items as Work Performance Data in section 8.3.1.4
Unless PMI publishes an update, this is correct and valid for the PMP Exam.
9 years 10 months ago #4191

Scott

's Avatar

Hi Cornelius,

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

There appears to be quite a bit of chatter about section 10.3.1.4 in the PMBOK guide 5th edition. One contributor of the 5th edition even said this is incorrect in the guide. According to the other sections, information such as SV, SPI, CPI are considered Work Performance Information. Therefore, I think the answers B, C, and D are also considered Work Performance Information.

6.7.3 control Schedule: outputs
6.7.3.1 Work Performance Information
The calculated SV and SPI time performance indicators for WBS components, in particular the work packages
and control accounts, are documented and communicated to stakeholders.

7.4.3 control costs: outputs
7.4.3.1 Work Performance Information
The calculated CV, SV, CPI, SPI, TCPI, and VAC values for WBS components, in particular the work packages and
control accounts, are documented and communicated to stakeholders.
9 years 10 months ago #4188

Cornelius Fichtner

Scott,

We have reviewed the question and determined that answer A was indeed not quite right. We have changed it.

However, answers B, C and D are mentioned in the PMBOK Guide page 251 as Work Performance Data.

The attached image shows you the new question/answers:

An updated version of this lesson will be uploaded to our server within the coming hours.
Attachments:
9 years 10 months ago #4177

Cornelius Fichtner

Scott,

At first glance it does indeed look like something might be "off" here. I have asked another PMP to review and let me know their findings.
9 years 10 months ago #4176

Scott Liu

I was listening to the Control Communications (Part 2) lecture and I got to the sample question:

Which of the following is an example of the work performance information?
A. Actual Schedule Progress
B. Planned vs Actual Schedule performance
C. Planned vs. Actual Cost Performance
D. Planned vs. Actual Technical Performance

According to the lecture, the correct answer is A. It says B, C, and D is considered work performance data. I'm confused because it seems backwards.

According to PMBOK v5, Work Performance Data is the raw observation and measurements, whereas Work Performance Information is the analyzed data. In addition, in other PM Prepcast lectures such as Control Cost, it mentions that CPI is Work Performance Info, not Work Performance Data.

Could someone help clarify my confusion here?

Thanks,
Scott

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login